Clock/trip/mpg Keeps Resetting…??

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by MattGaydon, Nov 27, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Hi all,

I’ve got a Truccy 1200 and the clocks keep resetting. Usually starts fine (hasn’t once but that’s it) but always with reset values.

It normally only does it when it’s been left for a few days but I just nipped out to get petrol and it did it when I restarted after filling up!!

Any suggestions of what can be done or might be wrong??

Cheers,

Matt

2. Tom Swift

Tom Swift Active Member

Sep 24, 2021
    USA
    There should be setting that automatically resets the tripmeter, mpg, etc. after refuelling. The OM should tell you how to change it to manual reset only.

3. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    I don’t think it’s that, it never used to do it and plus the clock resets to 00:00.

4. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Sounds like a bad connection to me where the units supply is lost i.e. similar to when you have a flat battery and then power is restored. The default here of the clock would be 00:00 so I think that's a confirming clue.

When it resets are the handlebars being unconsciously waggled about like when on and off the sidestand?

Check around the headstock and pay note to certain movements as this may help the detection of the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  5. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Bad earth connection on battery? Had that myself before, would occasionally reset clocks when starting bike, until it got to the point where it wouldn't even start and I investigated. Could also be dodgy battery. Either could cause voltage to ECU to drop and make it forget it's settings.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    the battery should be fine as I got a new lithium battery in Feb and it’s kept on a trickle charger but the Earth sounds like a good shout…how do I check/fix that? Sorry for my ignorance!

7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Matt had the same problem on my Thruxton. It was the live battery connector the was only very slightly loose on my bike. I tightened both the live and earth connections and touch wood it has been fine.

8. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    For my problem it was just a case of tightening the bolt on the battery terminal the first time. Another time it was the other end of the negative lead where it bolted to the engine.

Not quite sure what bike a Truccy 1200 is ;) (Thruxton?) but I have a 1200 twin and the earth lead is bolted to the left of the engine just to the top right of the crank case cover (as viewed from left side of bike). On my Speedmaster, this is an exposed bolt with thick wires and I ended up removing bolt, cleaning connector terminals and reassembling, with a coat of grease afterwards.

As a first test, you could see if you can find the bolt and see if it wants to tighten a smidgin.

P.S. On my engine, the wires connect with a bolt to a tiny steel bracket which is itself bolted to the engine. I only removed the bolt holding the wire connectors, not the bolt going into engine casting.

9. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    As it so happens, just had this issue occur again today. Initial start of bike at home seem to half stall for a second, then after filling up at local petrol station, starting stuttered and the time and trips had reset.

Will check things tomorrow when I've got some daylight. And put the battery on my Optimate too. (I bought it 4 years ago, might as well finally put it to some use. :) )

10. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    How weird!! Haha

Mine lives on an optimate!

11. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Thanks wessa I’ll check it out!

12. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    So this hasn’t happened for a while BUT…

Just been out today and when I went to start the bike all I got was a click.

The bike is connected to an optimate so not sure why this is happening?? The bike has a lithium battery which is relatively new (within a year).

Any thoughts?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    I did manage to get it started…I took the main fuse out of the start relay and unplugged it and once all back together it fired up…points to a dodgy starter relay or connection???

Any advice is welcome!

14. Bolosun

Bolosun Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2020
    Crewe/Cheshire
    I was told by my mate who fitted a lithium battery to his bike, that they sometimes need waking up if it is cold or not been used for awhile. He said that after turning the ignition on he had to turn his lights on for 30 seconds, then switch the ignition off and back on, and then it would start as normal.

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    I just tried this and it did fire into life at the second attempt! No idea if it’s because of “waking up” or fluke but I’ll try again tomorrow morning when I actually need to use it!

16. Tony GOOCH

Tony GOOCH Member

Oct 18, 2023
    USA
    My 2018 Bonneville just started doing this infrequently… but it always fires up without a problem. And I have noticed that over the last three days, it had done it twice. And I ride this bike daily. And to be honest, I just thought, my phone tells me what time it is, and the main odometer remains functioning, so all the bells and whistles I can do without. Heated grips work, as does the blinkers, and other things. So I decided it wasn’t worth the time as long as the bike fires up and goes down the road.

17. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Yes sometimes you need a Fluke with these problems, I have two; good tools.

Screenshot_20231019_105254_Chrome.jpg