Cleaning Those White Wall Tyres

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by Tone Walsh, Apr 27, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tone Walsh

Tone Walsh New Member

Dec 18, 2016
    March
    Hi, I've decided to sell my '15 Tbird LT. I have now spent 3 days using up gallons of Solvol and many other unguents in preparation of the sale. The whitewalls on the Avon tyres are a bit of a puzzle; detergents don't work particularly well, Muc Off works fairly well; is there a magic jollop that will have my Cobras like new?

Trouble with this cleaning to sell lark is that the bike (Fat Betty) is now looking highly desirable and I'm becoming increasingly reluctant to give her up - always had a weak spot for a big lass.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Used to run whitewalls on my 59 Hillman Minx, never could get the clean either!

Not much help, but keep the T'bird, wear tyres out and just buy a fresh new set. :cool:

3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    ArmorAll any good?

4. Tone Walsh

Tone Walsh New Member

Dec 18, 2016
    March
    Well, that’s a little help - in that it’s not just me
    Dunno, never heard of it but I’ll give it a go. Thanks

5. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Have you asked the missus? She might have some of that gritty kitchen white cleaning stuff - Jif (might be called Cif now IIRC), might be of use. Remember using it to get my Puma G.Villes white trainers white, back in the day.

[​IMG]

6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I think Halfords now stock ArmorAll products - I only ever used the original stuff from Costco......which they no longer stock - but it was great for cleaning off vinyl, leather and rubber.

7. Graham.db

Graham.db Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Wiltshire
    Soft green kitchen pad soapy water, or I use a spray foam carpet/ seat moose, spray wipe gently and white walls again, with you on the LT being a ball ache to keep clean, all ways thinking of selling her

8. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Suffolkbumpkin

Suffolkbumpkin Senior Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Ipswich
    Magic sponges and washing up liquid in hot water, cleans my white walls back to new in minutes.

Feared cleaning them would be an issue but this method really works and is cheap.

• Like Like x 1
  10. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    Cif and a cloth works well

11. Tone Walsh

Tone Walsh New Member

Dec 18, 2016
    March
    Replies much appreciated. I did try various household detergents, with some small success. Muc-off with a nylon scrubbing pad worked the best. And now, Fat Betty has been released for adoption. I’m now down to just one Tiger 800; with not a bit of white

• Like Like x 1