Cleaning the wheels

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Suffolkbumpkin, Aug 16, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Suffolkbumpkin

Suffolkbumpkin Senior Member

Mar 19, 2016
    Ipswich
    For a while now I have used gt85 to degrease the wheels but it cannot buff them. So they are clean but were getting ever duller and marked.

After our mini tour to the peak district these aluminium or alloy wheels were just getting worse.

So (think drum roll) after much internet browsing I purchased Mother Mag and Aluminium polish. With a microfibre cloth and and small amount of elbow grease.

15 mins later both wheels buffed and nearly as shiney as the chrome on the exhausts. Marks and blemishes have receeded, not gone but the shine wins the day now :)

Even using it on the clutch and break levers.

For the first time since ownership I feel bike is back to near showroom look.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    I spent about 4hrs yesterday with a battery drill a buffer and autool I got one side passable the other clean. I may try another polish or accept defeat for now and remove the wheels in winter to get them to my satisfaction.
    Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    Oh that was only the back wheel. The front one I did last week..
    Andy

4. Suffolkbumpkin

Mar 19, 2016
    Ipswich
    IMG_20160816_130608.jpg

This is what mine looks like now, not got a before shot, shame as its a big difference.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    Looking good. I've not had mine long so I need to keep at it..
    Andy

6. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    Right I've ordered some mother mag Polish..when are you available to show me how it works
    Andy

• Like Like x 1
  7. Suffolkbumpkin

Mar 19, 2016
    Ipswich
    There's plenty of youtube clips just search by the name of the polish, I like it because there is no great prep or technique.

Remove the dirt, get yourself a microfibre cloth, either apply a small amount of polish to cloth or direct onto wheel and rub. If it is working the polish will go black on the cloth and the more you rub the deeper the shine. Then just buff with a clean cloth to finish.

The paste goes a long way, hardly used any. Main benefit for me was that I did it for minutes and not hours.

Tell us how you get on, if I had a dremel with the right attachment I figure that would work well. I don't so elbow grease will have to do.

8. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    I'd put felt pads on a 4mm bolt and held it in my battery drill. The previous owner kept if clean but seemed to have neglected the wheels, there was some corrosion starting on the back wheel. Fortunately one side of the back wheel was covered in chain lube so no corrosion there. It takes me back to the early 80's polishing my engine cases etc on my 400/4.
    Happy days,
    Andy