Featured Cleaning The Speedy’s Matt Paint (wd40) What The F***

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by SteveRS, Jan 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Ok, I’ve had the Speed RS nearly a week and have been fiddling around with her a bit (insert rude jokes here) but haven’t really gave it a good cleaning to remove the sticker adhesive and other smudges that won’t come off with regular washing. For more than 15 years I operated my own detailing business and found WD40 to be a fantastic cleaner on paint and other surfaces. WD40 will not harm paint or plastic surfaces and is a safe and effective cleaner. The Matt paint is a little different than the paints I use to work with and proved to be more difficult to clean as well, due the uneven surface it has. Anyways on to the the WD40 part of all this. With the paint completely clean spray some WD40 into a new and clean microfibre cloth and wipe the paint in multiple directions to get down into the valleys of the paint, then buff off with another new microfibre cloth. It generally only takes one application to remove any adhesives and other stubborn material on the paint. After using the WD40 use something like Autoglym fast glass to remove any oils from the WD40, then coat it with your favourite Matt finish product. That’s it, you’ll now have a perfectly clean and happy bike :heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    A quick photo after the process.

3C970EBC-4241-4E72-A812-228B14C8D782.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    SteveRS
    That's a useful tip. But I think its been here before and a lot of peeps use it to clean up stains not to sure though about matt. Welcome to the Family by the way. you know the inmates will want a picture of the steed soon.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Sideburn

Sideburn Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Nice. I have the pretty white paint, but I never knew that about WD40. Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Above the tank protector was where one of the stickers was located and it left an outline of the sticker. There were also other small shiny spots that wouldn’t clean up either. Now the paint is literally spotless. :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Thank you. I’ll get the two together for a photo shoot tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Thanks. You’ll find it works really well keeping your wheels clean. Chain lube can be nasty, but WD40 cleans it in one wipe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    E45351E5-C34C-4A35-9677-18A030CD5113.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  9. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    One more.

59B68778-738F-43A9-8DB8-76F110224D2E.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  10. Sideburn

Sideburn Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Colorado
    Nice! Love the black. Stopped by the hardware store today to buy WD40

• Like Like x 2
  11. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Thank you. I really like the white as well, but the Street is white and I wanted a change.

12. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    before I use any oils wd etc or solvents ,I try baby wipes these things are incredible ph netural if they clean shite of a babys arse they'll clean most things use them to clean my leathers, failing that a few aero wipes from work

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Thank you. I really like the white as well, but the Street is white and I wanted a change.
    yup, another good option as well. I like those on fabrics mainly. Thanks for sharing :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    On a side note, I was playing around with the suspension tonight. Set it up to the comfort setting and backed out the front preload all the way then in one full turn. Tomorrow I will try to set up static sag front and rear, then rider sag with gear on. The rear spring is almost all the way out with only two threads showing, with 10mm of static sag measured, so no static adjustment left there I suppose. Haven’t measured the front yet. I’m 12.5 stones so hopefully the rear spring isn’t too stiff. We’ll see. I’ve been watching and reading a lot of Dave Moss tuning or his “two clicks out” YouTube videos. The guy is one of the best in the business for sure. If you haven’t seen them do yourself a huge favour and watch, you won’t be disappointed. I think every rider should understand suspension tuning to some degree. Anyway cheers fellas.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  15. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I used to use WD40 to clean a 250 Superdream I'd matt blacked in the 80's and a 1200 Bandit in the 90's that I'd done the same with.
    I was obviously ahead of my time:p

It was common knowledge already about the use of WD40 back when I started riding in the early 1980's and probably years before that......

SuperDream2.jpg

twinside.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Very nice work. Yup, definitely ahead of your time :)

17. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    OK, so I know the Superdream wasn't quite as clean as it should have been but I had lobbed it across a muddy field the night before after a few shandies :D
    WD40 and a hammer soon put it right....

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Just curious where the rear spring preload is set from factory on other Speed RS’s. Don’t be shy post’em up ;) Mine has just two threads showing, I’m wondering if that is a factory setting.

19. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Thanks for the likes on the steed fellas, I appreciate it.

20. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    The Matt paint still looks good.