Cleaning products

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Clarkey, Nov 30, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Clarkey

Clarkey Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Hi all hope you are all well
    Just need some advice at present I use MUC OFF cleaning products and I'm running out and wanted to know what you guys use /recommend
    Thanks in advance

2. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Muc-off!

It's about the best I've found. Also works a treat on the alloys on my car.

3. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    Muc off to get the rubbish off and Autoglym to finish

• Like Like x 2
  4. PJT

PJT Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Leicestershire. UK.
    Same as Col. It's essential stuff.

5. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    #5 SteveJ, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    Have just started using G3 polish and paint restorer which you can get from halfords, so far had really good results with it and a lot easier to use than other products that I have previously used.

My bikes don't really see rain and bad weather so usually just use Mr Sheen spray to clean my bikes.

Cheers

Steve

6. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    +1 for Mr Sheen. Its epic!

7. ColLamb

ColLamb Active Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Preston, Lancashire
    Another tip

Once the bike is clean and dry liberally apply ACF50 to everything except discs and chain, work it in with a brush. Then you have good protection and themuck will come off with just a hose pipe, then when you have to start using Muck Off reapply the ACF50

• Like Like x 2
  8. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I've started using these waterless wax polishes, both on my bike and the car. They work well, but beware of overspray - just when you think it's finished there's a few splashes on the bits you did a few minutes ago.!! :frown:

Mr Sheen is excellent for chain lube removal and similar. It also cleans greasy hands!! :upyeah:

9. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Just ordered a bottle of ACF50
    Can it be used on the downpipes, or will the heat burn it off?

10. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    I use ACF50 on just about everything (except brakes and anything non-metallic like rubber)

Yes I suppose it does get burnt off the pipes but it's about protecting the chrome while the bike is not being used.

11. Spudda

Spudda Member

May 2, 2012
    Penn, Nr Wolverhampton
    The looks you get at traffic lights whilst the bike is smoking could be amusing :biggrin:

12. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
  13. Portugal Martin

Portugal Martin New Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lagos, Portugal
    Ive always just use car wash on everything and then furniture polish afterwards on the plastics. This thread has reminded me I have some Scottoiler cleaner in the garage in the UK which was pretty good as well for getting the crud off.

14. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    I use SDOC100 gel as a degreaser. I think its better than Muc-off IMO & although it`s dearer than Muc-of,f I think it does a superb job of degreasing.......Appy it by spray action, leave it a few minutes & wash off with a hose. Stubborn bits that wont shift can be easily removed with a sponge. So....Theres only one way to sort this out.......FIGHT!!!! just kidding.:p
    And if there are any car drivers listening here then a company called Bilt Hamber do a really good wash liquid & an even better wheel wash for alloy wheels....check em out here http://www.bilthamber.com/car-cleaning-and-degreasing

15. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    What do people use to clean the black engine parts. Mine always comes up with greyish residue in places. I want to get it back to that nice new look

16. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Black bits on a Thruxton!!!!!! NEVER!!!!.....Should be A2 stainless everywhere!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  17. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    This is going to sound slightly odd but Harley Davidson have a brilliant spray product for black engine parts that works really well.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Trouble is HT, your bloody right!! :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  19. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Muc-Off is my preferred, only because I get 2 bottles for £12 from the Scottish bike show in March, I also like Muc-off speed polish on the bike, fancy pledge !!! I got given some Michelin expert polish, that is very good

Auto-glym polish is the best and their paint restorer is a lot kinder than G2 or T-Cut (which I wouldn't use on the bike).

I also use Wizz leather cleaner from the cheapo shop, it's excellent on seats and panniers, made from coconuts so smells nice and can use it on jackets, bring them up a treat.

ACF50 twice a year, with top ups, now and again.

20. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Now then.....if we are talking polish, not the language of course! Polish er waxes etc.... I have used many, many different types of waxes & polishes over 30 years. For me Autoglym is good but IMO only for a short while. It`s all about the "beading" qualities & Autoglym does not bead for long enough. If you want your bike to shine & sparkle then autoglym is a fine product, but if you want to protect it as well as make it shine & sparkle, then there is IMO better out there.

AutoExpress Magazine did recommend (as a best buy too!) Armo all "Shield", while Autoglm came about 3rd or 4th I think, & for what it`s worth I think it is without doubt the best & the finest long term wax Ive ever used, especially on the car. Halfords is quite dear for it but that well known auction site does it for about £12 I think & it goes a long way too. Solvol is without doubt the best chrome cleaner & yes ACF50 does a great job of protecting your pride & joy over winter.