Classic To Adventure - Anyone Made The Change?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by learningtofly, Jul 24, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #1 learningtofly, Jul 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    Hi all - not been around for a few months as life kind of took precedence, but I hope everyone has stayed safe and been enjoying the relaxation of restrictions coupled with a few days of decent weather.

Sadly it's rain today (here in the south east, anyway) which has led to me cancelling my test ride on a Tiger 900 GT Pro. I'm currently on a Thruxton R but have decided that - much as I love it - I want to give touring a go and need something more fit for purpose. The Tiger is smaller and lighter than the opposition and also comes in a fair but cheaper, so assuming I enjoy the ride and the fit then I'll be looking to do a trade-in deal.

I suppose my reason for posting is to ask if anyone else here has made the change from Classic/Heritage to Adventure, and if so how you found it. Did it open up a whole new world of biking with day-long comfort and mile after mile of open roads, or was there a sense of buyers (and sellers!) remorse and a pining for lost loves?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Aaron Brown

Aaron Brown apprentice mad reclusive genius

Mar 8, 2021
    Austin, TX, USA
    I recently jumped from a cruiser (albeit one set up for touring) to a Tiger 1200. I have zero regrets, and have loved every mile I've ridden on the Tiger since I got it. I've put 12000 miles on mine since March of this year, about 1/4 of which were off-pavement. My advice would be go for it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    There's actually nothing I dislike about the TTR - I just want to extend my capabilities when it comes to riding for the day, or perhaps doing some overnights on the bike. No hard-core touring but longer miles than would be comfortable on the TTR.

There's a specific reason I've homed in on the Tiger 900, and it's essentially because I'm quite small at 5'6"/30" ISL and it's the most manageable sized ADV on the market. Yes, I can get the seat height I want on others but it's usually through lowering the bike which I'd rather avoid, and in most cases the opposition is alo a lot more expensive. I've specifically considered the GS and Multistrada but keep coming back to the conclusion that the Tiger 900 would be the better bike for me. Oh, and I don't want anything more faired.

I did give the 1050 some thought but it's taller and I've not read anything encouraging at all with regard to the low seat (which apparently makes almost no difference) or options for lowering the suspension (which nobody seems to like and which often gets reversed after a while). I'll not ever be riding two-up as my wife won't consider getting on the back, so I don't really need any extra power, either.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Have you seen these as an alternative?
    https://www.motoguzzi.com/gb_EN/models/v85-tt/

• Like Like x 2
  5. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #5 learningtofly, Jul 24, 2021
    Well, I went nearly a year and a half with no income due to COVID, and I was one of those unfortunate souls who fell through the furlough support net (so no, sadly not minted). Spec'd up with heated grips, a centre stand and a Termi end can the Multistrada 950S is about £15.5k; the GS is about £20k in similar guise and lowered, so that's not going to happen! Anyway, next weekend I'm testing the Tiger in the morning and the Multistrada in the afternoon (both with low seats fitted) but I know which way my legs and wallet are leaning ;)

6. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Welcome back, @learningtofly! :kissing_heart: Good to have you back on the forum. But I'm sorry to read about your financial hit due to Covid. :(

Have fun researching that new bike and, as @littleade said, test rides will help you decide. From what I've read, it doesn't sound like you are particularly focused on riding off road but have other reasons for looking at the Tiger. Mr. Sandi and I have a good friend and riding buddy who loves his Yamaha Tracer GT. I don't know his exact height and inseam but I think his inseam is even a bit shorter than mine and he fits quite nicely on the Tracer. I think his bike is a 2019 and he's had his bike a couple of years and is very pleased with it. He was part of our group on the 1800 mile southwest US trip we just did and said the bike was perfect for that purpose. At the other end of the spectrum, he says it's great fun to ride up Mt. Lemmon which is in our back yard--a twisty climb from 2500' to well over 8000'. So the Tracer is a very versatile sport tourer that's priced well and great bang for the buck. I am a bit sad to read that you'll trade in your Thruxton. The one bike I'd most like to have back in my garage is the 2016 Thruxton R that I traded for my Speed Triple RS. Not that I'd give up the Speed to get it back. ;)

Happy hunting! I'll be eager to learn what you choose.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring/models/tracer-900-gt

• Like Like x 2
  8. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #8 learningtofly, Jul 24, 2021
    Hey Sandi! Thank you, and I hope you're doing okay over there.

Yes, I hear you regarding the TTR but my mind is pretty much made up. In fact, whilst you're right in that my focus is very much on the road, I'm also a little fed up at the fact that when I ride with my mates we often end up on green lanes and other un-made up surfaces and it gets a bit nerve-wracking. I'd therefore like the option of doing some off-road stuff too.

I did have a look at the Tracer a while back, but it is actually quite a tall bike. If I'm honest, I also don't really see myself on a Yamaha, for some reason :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yep, Mr. Sandi and I and our new boxer, Ellie, are doing well over here across the pond, thanks! :)

I do understand about making a decision about a bike and moving forward with that decision. What I realized is that if I've made a choice that I later wish I hadn't, it's not as though I can't make a change back at some point. For me I've found over the years I've been riding and the bikes I've owned, I learn a bit with each choice what I most like and value in a motorcycle. And sometimes that changes, too. The great thing is that we have so many choices when it comes to motorcycles!

I also understand your comment about not really seeing yourself on a Yamaha. I feel the same way because for some reason Japanese bikes in general don't capture my fancy. My best girlfriend has the same feelings. She currently rides an Indian Scout and really likes it. Like you, her bike choices have been limited by her height as she stands 5' 1" on a good day. So she has even fewer choices that you! :joy: Prior to her Scout she rode a Harley Sportster (Iron). Recently however, she's having major problems with her hands--arthritis, trigger finger, etc.--and riding any distance at all makes her miserable. She was also on the week-long trip we did (she's married to the guy with the Tracer, actually) and it has taken over two weeks for her hands to start to feel better. Consequently she's been contemplating her options one of which would be the new Honda Rebel DCT so she doesn't have to use a clutch. Pus it comes stock with cruise control so she would also be able to more easily rest her right hand. But she just isn't "feeling the love" for that bike at all. But I do predict that if it's between not riding at all and getting a bike like the Rebel, she will probably opt for the Rebel. But she won't be particularly excited about it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Good to see you back @learningtofly hope all is well now.

Being a short arse too, the Tiger 800 was the only option available to me for a rugged, ugly, but dependable steed.

I have since learned that I can also ride a GS Tractor (and quite enjoyed it). I almost didn’t take one out for a test ride as when I started it up and revved it, I was v surprised by the engine torque nearly throwing it on its side. I stuck with it and learnt to enjoy it.

I like the style and implied culture of the classic Triumphs but have never ridden one. I think them a little like HD’s as style over substance but have NOTHING one which to base that idiotic opinion.

One day it would be nice to ride a retro classic just to see what they’re like.

Till then will carry on with Tigger.

As mentioned before Tigger hasn’t been upgraded because of Triumph’s design decision to have squiffy headlights.

• Like Like x 2
  11. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Good to hear you're all doing well, Sandi, and yes - decisions don't have to be irreversible, and the TTR will still be around should I decide in the future that I'd like to go back to it. Sorry to hear about your friend's challenges too, but it looks like there's an answer out there for her.

• Like Like x 1
  12. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks matey, and those BMW boxer engines can indeed give you quite a surprise the first time you fire one up (as I know from my old R9T). Full of character, though. Try and swing your leg over a classic Triumph at some point though. The TTR in particular is quite a bike, with race spec components and performance that really does leave you wanting for nothing.

I hear you, too, regarding the new Tiger line, but having never even sat on the earlier iterations I guess that I come to the party without any baggage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    You need to have a long test ride! Personally I don't get on well with adventure style bikes. I find sitting bolt upright puts all your weight on your arse and that gets sore, also wind screens create a lot of noise with turbulent air, that gets very fatiguing. They are generally very heavy bikes too which is contradictory to their off-road capabilities. I much prefer naked bikes, they do everything and do it well! Although Triumph naked bikes are not the most practical! If you want to do green lanes then a naked will struggle obviously but buying an adventure bike just for green lanes would mean less fun/more compromise everywhere else. Off road and carrying a pillion is where naked bikes fall short, if those aren't a consideration then I see no reason to buy anything else to be honest. I've toured thousands upon thousands of miles on naked bikes in all conditions and many big mile days. They are the most fun and for me, the most comfortable all things considered. I've had 2 tiger 800's, they left me in agony after less than 200 miles. Last month I done 6 days in Scotland with an average of 280 miles a day on a naked with ease. Yesterday I done 330 miles in Donegal with lots of small bumpy roads and I'm just getting ready to go out again. Most folk seem to love adventure bikes, I really don't get it? Best thing to do is a very long test ride to see if it works for you. Good luck with whatever route you go :)

• Like Like x 5
  14. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Thanks. I get what you're saying, but I've had a different experience with nakeds and am also looking for something with a nice upright riding position. I don't think that'll be a problem for me but I'll have a pretty good idea after a two hour test ride.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

I managed to get a two day loan of a Tiger 800 to try it on my weekly commute run (300
    Miles). Getting a proper feeling for the bike was really useful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I'd never had an adventure bike before i got my GS, i did take out a Multistrada and an Explorer for about 2/3 hours but i felt the GS was the one for me, it really does everything and brilliantly at that. I've taken it on some forest tracks and other dodgy roads that i would never have gone on before, I'm hoping to explore more of the single track roads that go deep into the Glens (Glen Affric is one I've always wanted to do but I've been put off in the past because of the single track) that's a big plus with an adventure bike, you can go slow if you want and you are really comfy doing so, but it will also scratch with the best of them, in fact i think the riding position and the wide bars make for easy handling
    I've not done any serious off roading with it, I'm sure it would be more than capable, but I'm not!
    I've never really had an issue with comfort on any of the bikes I've had, but i find the riding position on an adventure bike probably the comfiest, but to be honest i never usually do more than about 60 miles before i want to stop for a break anyway.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    What about a Suzuki V Strom? it's a very underated bike,they do a 650 and a 1050 and are great value.

• Like Like x 2
  18. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I was getting ready to pull a wheelie if you must know :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. learningtofly

Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    Not my cup of tea, but I get why you mentioned it. Thanks for your earlier post too, btw.

20. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    I can feel with you. I started after 25 years without a bike with a Yamaha SCR 950. It was great to ride. It had an additional exhaust with a cool sound. But: For international journeys or long touring it was not comfortable enough and the fuel tank was to small. Every 200 km I had to look for a gas station. Therefore I changed after 26.000 km to a Honda CB1100EX. This was a great and good looking bike with a very smooth engine. But again: For long touring it was also not the right bike. So I changed after 13 months and 16.000 km to a TIGER 1200 Alpine Edition. Now I am there were I wanted to be - "touring bike heaven". Yesterday I passed 16.500 km after 11 months and many more will follow. With my wife, with her TIGER 900 GT and my father in law, with his TIGER 900 GT Pro, we launched the "TIGER FAMILY". But: My wife and I love retro bikes. Therefore we will get our 1200 Bonnies in April 2022, which we ordered some weeks ago.
    May be you will be able to keep your Thruxton beside your TIGER. Then you can change the bikes in order to your daily mood.

• Like Like x 3