Classic Shopshort megaphone exhausts

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Taxpayer, Sep 28, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    #1 Taxpayer, Sep 28, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Hi has anyone fitted these type of slip on exhausts to a later EFI Bonnie?

They retail at £67.90 a pair with free p&p & available through Ebay.

I am indebted to The big lad for this info & just want to know if they are any good for a better sound than stock & okay to fit.

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I thought I mentioned that I had fitted these to my 2010 Bonny T100 EFi and they were (sounded) great even with the baffles in?

3. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    Sorry UOTE="thebiglad, post: 75724, member: 655"]I thought I mentioned that I had fitted these to my 2010 Bonny T100 EFi and they were (sounded) great even with the baffles in?[/QUOTE]
    Sorry Dave i didn't think yours was an efi model.

4. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    No probs Phil. If you do decide to buy the pipes I suggest don't forget to get the short link pipes as well. You WILL like the sound. Not Loud loud but properly fruity.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    "Not loud but properly fruity" Now there`s a sentence that can describe many a thing :D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi PM, if you've ever heard an original Bonny, these pipes and an EFi Bonny sound like that. Not loud, but fruity - really a very nice, not at all objectionable, original sound.

I will put them on my next Bonny for sure.

7. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    Thanx Dave ive spotted the complete exhaust set incl short pipe links & total price now is £105.95. I thought i could get away with just the exhausts but when i saw the chromed link pipes i understand your suggestion. Dell Boy's garage on Youtube is excellent re SAI removal so looks like i might be busy.

8. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    I've been shopping around for a decent set of replacement exhausts, but haven't found the definite set yet. I did a search for "Classic Shopshort megaphone exhausts", but but apart from this post :), nothing else comes up. What's their exact reference? Anyone got an evil bay link?

Thanks!

9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
  11. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    Hi Dave well ive ordered the classic short exhaust & link pipes in chrome.Some alteration is required they said to accomodate the centre stand & fouling the chain I will let you know how i get on with fitting & sound. Many thanx Phil.

• Like Like x 2
  12. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi mate, just for your info I didn't need to do any alterations to accommodate the centre stand on my 2010 T100. Getting the right angle on the link pipes takes a bit of fiddling and they work best when installed with exhaust sealant.

13. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    Hi Dave, first the good news i've fitted the short megaphone exhausts & they sound ace|
    However no matter which way i tried with the link pipes it just looked wrong & too close to rear shocker. The side stand touched the exhaust but remedied this by bending & fitting a pedal rubber to it Sadly the centre stand is the big problem as catches the exhaust, not by much but enough. So for the moment i have black siliconed the part on the stand which catches & will check it out on a ride out 2moz. I will take some pictures & post them asap.

I wish they was some way of making a strong enough bracket with a bung attached to effect a permanent solution, or having to take off the main stand. The fruity sound you mentioned is how it should have been from the start !!!

14. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    They do sound good don't they :D:D:D:D

Re the fitting issues, I found that with a bit more patience I could get them to fit correctly without foiling on anything. Just takes a bit of time.

Re the centre stand, if I remember correctly I swapped the spacers that are used when mounting the stand. This moves it sideways so it clears the pipes and the chain.

15. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    Me & a friend both tried the link pipes but the exhausts always splayed upwards & outwards way too much. I will check out the spacer idea but there is no issue with the chain at all, it only touches the exhaust at the end of the stand part that you kick down to use it. Another plus is the weight difference as the new ones are featherlight compared to the originals.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    A review of the new exhausts ie short megaphone. Well on tick over nice grumble sound, but afterwards LOUD. However it was the banging & popping which made it seem i was riding a firework. Now i realise i havent taken off the SAI system but it's annoying & the centre stand had to come off. I am going to ask if i can return them unless anyone else wants them at a reduced price. i hope the pictures do them justice as they look good. 2016-10-05 13.59.00.jpg 2016-10-05 13.59.00.jpg

2016-10-05 13.59.00.jpg

2016-10-05 15.06.46.jpg

17. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    The popping will stop with the sai removed/ disabled. Are the baffled removable? If so you might be able to wrap them to quiet them down a bit

18. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    The baffles are meant to be wrapped already according to the description. I would remove the SAI if i was going to keep them, but hoping to return.

19. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi TP, I hope you don't mind me saying but those pipes are currently set really, really low.

1. Wrapping the baffle will reduce the sound, but honestly you may be concerned by their loudness only in comparison to the original Triumph pipes, which are whisper quiet;

2. Removing the AI system will stop the banging and popping on over-run. Having open pipes just shows up what is happening that much clearer.

20. Taxpayer

Taxpayer Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Lancashire nr Blackpool
    Yes i agree with the low position but when using the link pipes they made the exhausts splay upwards & outwards & looked terrible. Its a shame i didnt take some pictures so you could see what i mean. Looking from the side they were raised up & okay but the back view looked out of character with the bike. I know its all a matter of opinion but the minus outweighed the plus.

• Like Like x 1