Classic Project

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Sceptic Al, Aug 15, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Well I got me a new baby.
    Norton Dominator (1960 model)
    First reg: 1962
    Two owners from new
    182, (Yep genuine) miles on clock

Once I get the photos compressed I'll bung them one here for all you folks.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Would love to see it. Best of luck with your new..... err ...old bike. :D

3. Sceptic Al

Here are some nice pics of my new 'old' toy:D

799GGA_01.jpg

799GGA_02.jpg

799GGA_03.jpg

799GGA_04.jpg

799GGA_05.jpg

799GGA_06.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  4. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Very nice, booted with TT100s as well I think,not sure...but Love it.:)

5. Modalconfusion

Modalconfusion Active Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Stafford
    It looks magnificent and sure to turn heads. A real beaut don't tell me you are going to ride it or is it for the show bench

6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Superb - cannot believe the 182 miles and two owners!

7. Sceptic Al

Thanks for you approval chaps. To answer some of your questions
    • Not sure what rubber it has on (ain't going out to the garage to find out tonight) but they have never been used but due to the age they'll probably be getting changed even though it's been stored jacked up.
    • Yes it will be ridden but not till next year as there is some work to do as it's been stood in a garage since 2000.
    • Yes 182 miles IS GENUINE. The first owner got some bad injury shortly after he bought the bike from the dealer in Glasgow back in 62. The bike was stored until 1986 when it was bought by my daughters blokes dad who kept it as a work in progress while he converted his own Dominie to be used as a clubman's track racer. The old chap died in 2000 and my daughters bloke got both bikes. The race prepared model is going to be a 'house ornament'

8. Sceptic Al

Wayne, yep your bang on, they are Dunlop Roadmaster TT100's, still got the mould tags on too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sceptic Al

Well a hectic couple of weeks:
    1. Sorting out 40 or so years of 'tinkering' to the electrics. Someone in the dim and distant past has upgraded from 6v to 12v, fine, but, some of the wiring was less than sound. So many hours of sitting in the garage with a multi-meter and a choice of wiring diagrams I have finally got to the decision that a new wiring harness is in order as whats there is totally FUBAR.
    2. Got the timing bang on but no sparks from the magneto ignition, it is 40+ years old and has been stood for yonks after all so I guess the mag wiring is past it's best. Luckily there are fancy electronic replacements available and much cheaper than the mega-bucks for getting the mag fettled.
    3. Carb all cleaned out, new seals and jets installed so when I get the ignition sorted it should spark up.
    4. Clutch is as stiff as fnuk and the cable must be made of bungie cord so a new cable is defo on the list. The rest of the clutch is a piece of duff to service as ancient Brit Iron was built to be repaired in the shed and not at some dealers mega-expensive place.
    There won't be any movement for the next week or so as Mrs Al and me are off for a few days of 5 star luxury for our 40th wedding anniversary.:D

• Like Like x 2
  10. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Just a thought, Al, when you've done all the things to it to get it running nicely and handling as well as a slimline featherbed endowed bike should, don't forget to install new brake shoes/linings 'cos I doubt that 66 year old brakes will provide much in the way of retardation forces.:oops: Using solid objects to stop one's progress is not to be recommended ... certainly not on a regular basis!:eek:

11. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Superb,
    look after that magnificent piece of motor cycling history, they don't crop up like that very often, how lucky you are to own that, I'm so envious.

12. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    GPWM!:cool:
    But I bet I'm not the only one herein that stripped down brake drums many years ago and proceeded to blow/brush the brake dust out of them.:eek: Then when that was all done, the aforementioned brake dust was swept up off the garage/shed floor, probably with a dust pan and brush, and thrown over the garden or into the dustbin for others to savour.o_O:eek:
    Thinking about it, and a few other things, such as creosote liberally applied to fencing/clothing/skin, I'm surprised that we have survived.:rolleyes:
    Happy days .... sigh!:)

• Like Like x 2
  13. jimlowe

jimlowe Member

Mar 14, 2013
    bideford Devon
    Incredible mileage!!!

14. Sceptic Al

Well chaps, thanks for the 'advice' regarding the anchors. As they currently stand the front brake 'works' and has loads of adjustment left. The back brake is just about at the end of it's travel. A refurb and replacement of the brake shoes at both ends is on the list as I'm a very firm believer in being able to stop BEFORE I get going.
    Learning to ride the bugger is a much bigger problem, the bloody gear shift and brake levers are on the 'wrong side'

15. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    #15 sprintdave, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    No mate,modern bikes,since, I believe about 1975 have them both on the wrong side.lol
    To me the old way was better coz the braking ,ie levers were equalised ,one on each side of the machine. I have always thought that a lot of drops are caused by both levers being on the same side,in an emergency you are applying pressure to the right foot and right hand.
    Probably on my own here tho,just my thoughts.

16. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
    Lovely bike and it's nice to see that after all these years it can still create lots of interest. I wonder how more modern stuff will fare, maybe just as well as we are all mad with rose tinted glasses full of nostalgia.
    Enjoy and keep us posted on progress.
    Andy

17. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    What a beautiful bike you have :) I ride both old and modern bikes, i am sure once you have sorted it in your head the gears and brakes will be no probs. When riding the older bikes everything happens much slower so you have loads more time to think about gear changes than you would on a modern bike :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. Taff Salmon

Taff Salmon Active Member

Aug 22, 2016
    no
    How true. And the deadlier it was the better it worked.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Taff Salmon

Taff Salmon Active Member

Aug 22, 2016
    no
    Compulsory reading for anyone (like myself) with a "Classic Bike".
    Taff

A Treatise on the Importance of Smoke
    by Joseph Lucas

Positive ground depends on proper circuit functioning, which is the transmission of negative ions by retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as "smoke". Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work. We know this to be true because every time one lets the smoke out of an electrical circuit, it stops working. This can be verified repeatedly through empirical testing. For example, if one places a copper bar across the terminals of a battery, prodigious quantities of smoke are liberated and the battery shortly ceases to function. In addition, if one observes smoke escaping from an electrical component such as a Lucas voltage regulator, it will also be observed that the component no longer functions. The logic is elementary and inescapable!

The function of the wiring harness is to conduct the smoke from one device to another. When the wiring springs a leak and lets all the smoke out of the system, nothing works afterward.

Starter motors were considered unsuitable for British motorcycles for some time largely because they consumed large quantities of
    smoke, requiring very unsightly large wires.

It has been reported that Lucas electrical components are possibly more prone to electrical leakage than their Bosch, Japanese or American counterparts. Experts point out that this is because Lucas is British, and all things British leak. British engines leak oil, British shock absorbers, hydraulic forks and disk brake systems leak fluid,
    British tires leak air and British Intelligence leaks national defence secrets. Therefore, it follows that British electrical systems must leak smoke. Once again, the logic is clear and inescapable.

In conclusion, the basic concept of transmission of electrical energy in the form of smoke provides a logical explanation of the mysteries of electrical components - especially British units manufactured by Joseph Lucas, Ltd.

"A gentleman does not motor about after dark."

Joseph Lucas (1842 - 1903)

• Like Like x 7
  20. Sceptic Al

Oh how very TRUE:D