Chugging Bonnie

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Ray von Twome, May 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ray von Twome

Ray von Twome Member

May 26, 2019
    London
    I'd be grateful if anyone identifies with my problem and knows the solution. My 2011 T100 refuses to rev above 5400rpm and protests by chugging and the engine light comes on temporarily. Soon as I drop the revs the engine light and chugging disappear! Other than aftermarket pipes it has no other mods.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Is the choke fully pushed in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Ray.

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Can't your ride friend give you the answer;)

Sounds like a Fuelling issue, some history of bike would be useful Service history?

It could be as simple as a blocked filter or as complex as fuel pump, or plugs/coil so a code read could help spot the issue.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Hello Ray and welcome to the forum :)

Hope you sort your problem.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ray von Twome

Ray von Twome Member

May 26, 2019
    London
    Hi, thanks for your response. Yes it is. I've changed plugs, oil, checked the air filter but all to no avail!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ray von Twome

Ray von Twome Member

May 26, 2019
    London
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ray von Twome

Ray von Twome Member

May 26, 2019
    London
    It's supposed to redline at 8000rpm. I'm getting blown off by pizza boys!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ray von Twome

Ray von Twome Member

May 26, 2019
    London
    I've had it on the computer and it shows no faults. It has TORS on it and I wonder if it was ever remapped for them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ray von Twome

Ray von Twome Member

May 26, 2019
    London
    I've had it on the computer and it shows no faults. It has TORS on it and I wonder if it was ever remapped for them?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Just a thought, but are you sure that the throttle cables are giving full range, does it rev past 5400 when in neutral or any gear?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Ideally the bike should be remapped after fitting TORS but if there are no modifications on the induction side then it should still run OK providing you're not caning it the whole time and it should certainly rev higher than that. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    When you say the computer do you mean no fault codes via the OBD cable?

The flashing checklight would seem to indicate a sensor or ECM issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    Ray we need more info, in your newbie intro you mention getting rid of emissions stuff, has this been done?
    Again any info/history will help diagnosis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ray von Twome

Ray von Twome Member

May 26, 2019
    London
    The fault I have predates any mods. I haven't revved it in neutral for the sake of the neighbours but I'll need to check that.
    It seems that I do have the TORS map. I'm about to go outside and see if for some reason the revs have been capped at 5400. I thought the mods would cure the problem but it doesn't seem to have made any difference to it!
    I did wonder if the bike had been deliberately restricted to comply with A2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ray von Twome

Ray von Twome Member

May 26, 2019
    London
    I've just had it on the tune ECU via the obd2 and the revs are set at 8000rpm which it reached in neutral without any issues. It's on the right map for Tors. No errors on obd2.

When in gear the engine management light only comes on at 5400 rpm, the speedo needle drops off to zero but as soon as I ease off the throttle light goes off and speedo is fine again!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #17 Callumity, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    The speedo needle may be a clue. It takes its feed from the ECU rather than the coil........
    Without an electronic lab you can only really test it by substitution. Any London owners nearby! It’s a 10 min swap out....
    Otherwise https://www.triumphtwinpower.com/bonnevillet100-performance-tune-1.php
    may be a slightly expensive punt if you ring ahead to see if you can send your ECU for a remap and test.
    Or https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-...613705?hash=item2ce02d1c09:g:3cQAAOSwM5tb~VSC

Is there any chance your lambda sensor is shot and have you run an adaption process to reset the throttle position sensor?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Ray von Twome

Ray von Twome Member

May 26, 2019
    London
    I went to Carl Rosner today and put my problem to one of their guys. He's no idea what's going on with it.

Lambda sensors are not present.

I've been considering sending it off to ttp. Dont have the money yet. I did email them but didnt get a response.

The bike seems great other hitting that wall, which has moved to 6000rpm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    That funny thing screwed into your exhaust header with a wire coming off it is a lambda sensor......

What sort of air filter have you got? Tried running without?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Ray von Twome

Ray von Twome Member

May 26, 2019
    London
    I've removed my lambda sensors and fitted resistors so the bike doesn't know they've gone.

It's only got a standard filter at the moment but I'm thinking of getting a hi flo one. I'm going to see how she goes without a filter.

• Agree Agree x 1