Check Your Tyres....

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Fourbears, Jun 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    A mate of mine at work today asked me to look at the tyres on his 17 plate Tiger. He told me that he had experienced the bike 'jumping' on a flat road on the way in this morning. When I looked I was horrified to find at least 3, yes 3, bulges in the central tread area. Quite rightly he wasn't about to ride it anywhere and has ordered a new tyre. Now interestingly although the bike was new last year when I checked the date of manufacture of the tyre it was January 2016, at least 14 months before the bike was registered and, as far as he knew, it was not an 'old stock' bike. The tyres are Metzeler, have done about 6-7k and I have no doubt that the butyl liner has failed allowed pressurised air to get between it and the carcass producing the bulges - I advised him that Metzeler may well be interested in examining them to see what has happened as I know Michelin do this. Triumph via the dealer may well be interested too. I know he looks after his bike and does not abuse it or even, god forbid, take his adventure bike off road!
    What I am trying to say is... if you have Metzelers on your Tiger and the little 4 numbers in an oval on the sidewall have 16 at the end then get them checked in case there is a faulty batch out there.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Shame on your mate for not checking his own tires. The only thing between you and the tarmac is your tires!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    How many miles has he done on them?
    Where there any problems with the tyre prior to this?
    Every one should be checking their tyres (visually) when they go for a ride for any obvious faults.
    Obviously an internal fault in the tyre would require it to be removed but checking that it’s seated correctly on the rim, at the correct pressure etc only takes a few moments

4. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    He did 2 miles on it like that only because he did't know why the bike was jumping as he was on a dual carriageway. It was only when he got to work he found the bulges and the consequences do not bear thinking about. He has done about 7k and checks them regularly. It is an internal fault but I just wanted to highlight a potential issue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1