Tiger 800 Check Engine

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Armando Morales, Feb 16, 2022.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Armando Morales

Armando Morales Noble Member

Mar 29, 2021
    Mexico
    Hello,
    After a ride off-road the check engine light came on
    What the ???
    Once at home I used a generic OBD scanner and I was able to read the DTC and Freeze frame
    Annotation 2022-02-13 181942.jpg
    Annotation 2022-02-13 182047.jpg
    During the ride I had an instance going downhill over loose dirt, rocks, and a few tree roots where the rear tire was sliding, the clutch was in, I realized it was a struggle to be using the rear brake and decided to release the clutch to use engine braking, the engine died and I had to pull in the clutch and restart the engine.
    That is the only time I remember killing the engine, but the freeze frame says the speed was 48km/h, hmm, I'm not that intrepid to go over the situation I described above at 48kmh and I do not recall killing the engine on any other occasion but seems the ECU detected otherwise.
    One more thing I did was to use a higher gear on uphills trying to reduce the twitchy throttle and on/off feeling/chain slapping from the tyre loosing / gaining traction
    During the offroad ride, the check-engine was lit and t stayed on until I reset the errors.
    The engine felt fine, and I was more preoccupied with not falling than the little yellow light
    I have not ridden the bike since resetting the error, hopefully, it will stay off.

I'll keep an eye on this
    I was happy my generic scanner was able to read/reset the error and saved me from a trip to the dealer.
    I'll likely get a dealertool sometime in the future

No question or request for help, just my observations.
    Thanks for reading

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1