Charging Port

Discussion in 'Daytona' started by jcoop4355, Dec 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jcoop4355

jcoop4355 New Member

Dec 15, 2017
    Florence, AL
    I just recently moved from Iowa to Alabama and I am looking to purchase a motorcycle GPS so I can navigate my way around our new town. It was recommended I get a powerlet port to charge the GPS. Does anyone have one they have installed and can provide feedback. I own a 16 Daytona 675R. The bike is my daily driver as well.

2. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    I wired mine directly into the (switched) live on the horn using the cables that came with my TomTom. Would have gone for a neater solution using the sidelight but the cables in the headlight bezel looked well jammed in.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jcoop4355

jcoop4355 New Member

Dec 15, 2017
    Florence, AL
    I apologize but I don't understand exactly what you mean. Can you elaborate or provide pictures.

4. jcoop4355

jcoop4355 New Member

Dec 15, 2017
    Florence, AL
    Ok so do I splice the wiring together or what?

5. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    If you are using a soldering iron, use shrink down tubing!
    The heat from the iron will shrink it nicely! Looks better than tape, easy to cut off too.... if need be!

6. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Doh!.... did'nt read that bit:eek:. Cut into anything electrical me. Pitfalls of a career in Telco/Datacomms :p

• Like Like x 1
  7. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    You can get piggy back connectors which means no splicing or soldering! Then you connect to your horn. I put a post on here somewhere when I did it, plus someone else posted a link to another forum explaining it but I can’t find them. This is the connector
    7B2B748D-896A-49BD-B56C-5C4D03720D38.jpeg
    Attach your satnav live to that connect it to your horn then connect the horn live to it. Get a ring connector and connect your earth wire to it and find a decent place to earth it, not the horn earth though!

8. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Found the link to tiger forum
    https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,18399.0.html

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    On most modern vehicles (bikes and cars) there are switched and permanent circuits.

The switched ones only provide power when the ignition is switched on, resulting in a better supply with less risk of running down the bike's battery.

The permanent circuits are always 'on' - so if you connect anything additional to them and forget to turn it off, you risk depleting the battery.

10. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    The pic isn't actual size DD! :rolleyes:
    They are small enough , I don't notice mine as it is hidden by a load of motorbike and admittedly not as neat as a solder, it isn't that large, there are different sizes and the one to use is fairly small and has the convenience of not being permanent so can be swapped between bikes.

11. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    This is exactly what I did. Piggyback spade crimped to one wire and a ring connector to the other for the earth. Route the cables alongside the existing loom so it looks neat and Robert is your father's brother (Bob's your uncle). The bike is tucked away under a cover in the garage for winter and it's cold outside so no piccies I'm afrid.

12. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
  13. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Used these years ago on many additional wiring jobs on old cars i once owned. Not that reliable though.