Charging A Ghost X Helmet Camera When You Are Touring

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Chris Wise, Jan 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris Wise

Chris Wise Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    lincolnshire england
    It about time I brought a Helmet camera with all these dick head on the road I like the Drift Ghost X Helmet camera .The problem I see coming is ,if I am right you have to charge the camera battery with a usb lead to a laptop /computer .Fine no problem but how would I charge up the Ghost X battery when I go touring .I do not want to take a lap top with me and it seems they have discontinued the ghost cradle charger .So that means I could not take this Ghost X when I go touring due to fact of how would I recharge the battery ? Help

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    you can charge it up if you have a usb plug..no need for a computer or laptop

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chris Wise

Chris Wise Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    lincolnshire england
    All I want to do is when I arrive at the Hotel I just need a lead to plug it in to charge up ,is that possible .Do not want to buy a load of stuff just to charge up a battery .

5. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i always remove the battery on the ghost S to charge it up,i'm not sure if you can charge it up when it's in the camera? the Ghost X maybe different? i have several spare batteries and i have a cradle that can charge up to 3 batteries at the same time. you should be able to buy the cradles for charging them up on ebay or amazon,then all you need is a usb plug
    EDIT some of the cradles have plugs already on them so you woudn't need to buy a usb plug..it's handy to have though

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Chris Wise

Chris Wise Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    lincolnshire england
    This is getting complicated .I do not have a smart phone .I know I am not the sharpest knife in the draw when it comes to electronics but it seems to me these helmet camera are really designed to be used on a day trip when you come back home a plug it into your lap top at night to charge up for the next day If I have to start buying this and that just to charge it up at night in a hotel might give it a miss and concentrate more on my riding with all these dick about and keep my finger crossed !!!!!

7. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    you dont need a smart phone, and only time i use a computer is for downloading the footage if i want to view it. the battery chargers are not expensive

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    If you plug into laptop then its a usb cable.
    these cables come in ;-
    1 usb to usb
    2 usb to plug
    3 usb to micro usb
    Most hotels will have a usb point in your room ,so all you need is the correct size for the connection in the side of your device. a guess would be micro usb.

9. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    The standard Ghost X battery is rated for five hours - the extended life battery is eight. Charging is by micro-USB so a simple power bank will keep you going for a couple of days at least.

I got one of these for Chrimbo and one of the packs charges my phone from flat to full at least twice so a simple camera battery will will be no issue. My bike has a USB port under the seat so I could charge a Ghost while enjoying an ice cream when I get to the coast. If you don't have one you could always add one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    As Sir Trev says.

11. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    that is fantastic life for the battery ,way better than what i get with the Ghost S ...about 90 mins..and with my gopro i'm only getting about 60 mins ..

12. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    5 and 8 hours is per their website. Lady Poppy got (from me) a Ghost X for Chrimbo with the standard battery but has not really tried it yet so those claims may be a bit off. The reviewers on the Tube seem to say they last pretty well so I'm hopeful.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire

CORRECTION

Just fished Lady Poppy's Ghost X from it's box and the charging is via MINI USB. This is the usual connection for a camera (makes sense now I think about it) and as the unit comes with a USB to mini-USB adapter cable you can still use most powerbanks (as they usually have a standard USB socket as their output port) or underseat USB if you have one.

As an aside you can also buy a 3-pin plug with standard USB socket in it from any local market for a quid or two. Filming while touring is therefore a doddle as you can recharge from a powerbank or your bike if camping/on a long day out or via the mains if you're in a hotel.

14. Chris Wise

Chris Wise Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    lincolnshire england
    OK sorry to be a nuisance .I will leave it at that

15. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    I fitted a DIN power socket to the bike and change my stuff from that ,same as BMW ones.
    Easy to fit and only costs a few quid.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Uncorrugated

Uncorrugated Senior Member

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    You haven't said which bike you are riding.

My exploder has a DIN power socket at the front of the tank, I use a twin adaptor in this which runs both my Gopro and my phone. Only issue is that I need to remove the adaptor when parked as it's a permanent live.

17. Chris Wise

Chris Wise Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    lincolnshire england
    Triumph Tiger 800

18. Uncorrugated

Uncorrugated Senior Member

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire