Changing Thunderbird clock/gauges/instrument cluster

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by David Downes, Sep 4, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Downes

David Downes Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2016
    Essex
    Hi there,

I picked up my shiny new Commander yesterday, and I'm just wondering about how (if indeed it is at all possible) to change the instrument panel on the bike. I'd love the Storm instruments, as these include a tacho, and the fuel gauge is digital which is fine by me.

These days, is the odo built into the actual instrument cluster, or does the instruments just read it from somewhere else on the bike. If it's built into the instruments, what's the legality with changing this? There's only 150 miles on the bike right now, so hopefully I wouldn't be raising too many eyebrows to change it.

Cheers,
    Dave

2. Ronny

Ronny New Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Perth, Western Australia
    Hi Dave,
    Ive got a 2015 commander and was wondering what you found out about the tacho and did you fit one.

cheers mate
    Ron

3. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Can't see any problem with changing it, speedos quite often get changed for a variety of reasons.
    The only thing I would wonder is if the wiring harness the same particularly with respect to how the tachometer gets its reading.
    My TBird has a tachometer but I seldom look at it. I go by the sound of the engine more

4. Ronny

Ronny New Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Perth, Western Australia
    Thanks Gary,
    I agree...that's what I do as well...I guess I am just interested in what rpm they are doing at what speed in what gear...I can probably get that off the net....I have a call in at the local dealer, will see what he says

cheers mate

5. Bob Chambers

Bob Chambers Member

Nov 23, 2015
    USA
    I believe the mileage is stored in the cluster, so if you change it, the mileage from the old bike comes with it.
    Also, I think you'd need a cluster from an ABS bike if you have that.