Changing Grips

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Nixter, Oct 24, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Nixter

Nixter Well-Known Member

Anyone who has not tried to replace their grips is missing out on a good time. Just spent longer changing my throttle grip than it took me to change 2 tyres. I tried the usual suspects to help get it off - WD40, heat, compressed air, etc. The clutch side was easy. It is attached to a tube similar to the throttle and attached with 2 screws on the gauge side of the grip. Peel it back a little, unscrew and it slips right off. The throttle side however looks like it was molded over the tube. I cut it into tiny pieces to get off. There are also several ridges and raised notches I assume to stop the grip twisting without the tube (fat chance). I cut them off and sanded down the tube and finally got them on. Will be easy next time since I modified the throttle tube.

I have earned a beer

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. ChrisJHuff

ChrisJHuff Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2020
    County Durham
    it has to be said that after years of struggling to get grips on / off I started thinking...I'm not putting these back on the bike anyway so I just cut old grips off with a stanley knife these days

i'd get yourself at least two beers for the work you put in...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Nixter

Nixter Well-Known Member

I had no idea what a pain it would be. I've changed plenty of grips before, but never seen one esentially permanently attached to the throttle tube, or i may have had a re think.

4. OhCrumOn

OhCrumOn Well-Known Member

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    My 19 RS grips literally started melting for no apparent reason. My tech at the triumph dealer confirmed that this isn't a new issue, said he's seen it on other speed triples as well. I tried to cut mine off and ran into the same problem as the OP and ended up throwing a set of grip puppies over the OEM ones till I could get replacement OEM or had more time to fight with getting aftermarkets on. Grip Puppies are holding up well and as it turns out I don't mind them so I've not put forth the effort. Only downside I've found is my clutch work isn't as good but tbh, the slipper on the Speeds aren't' the best and I've always struggled with clutch feel.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nixter

Nixter Well-Known Member

I had grip puppies on mine too, but one side started to tear, thats what started me down thus road. I am happy I did now. I'm not sure if it was getting rid of the extra girth of the grip puppies, but the ProGrip 699's is put on feel great.

• Like Like x 2