Vintage Tiger Changed the gearing.

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by thebiglad, Aug 19, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Just a small thing but because the front (18T) sprocket was a bit worn and I had a 19T in stock, I decided to fit it to the Tiger.

Just been out for a test ride and it really seems to suit the power delivery of the 955i motor. Makes the interval between gear changes a little longer, which is nice, plus the revs for a given speed in 6th gear are down just a bit.

For example 80 kph (50mph) was at 3300rpm with the 18T but is now 3000rpm for the same speed. Higher up the speed range the revs drop will be bigger but that's all I've done at the moment.

Cheers all.

PS Have done about 2800 kms since I bought my Tiger and if I was impressed when I first got her, I'm more impressed now. Did a trip to England and the tank range and fuel economy are a really nice surprise. Add that to the newly purchased standard rider seat - instead of the instrument of torture the bike came with - and I'm REALLY enjoying my biking.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Glad your'e gelling with you're bike Dave..just don't mention it's 30 degrees the next time you take it out for a run!! :mad:

3. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    OK Dougie I'll just say something like "oooh it was a bit warm today, I had to take me jacket off, I was bakin'" ;);););)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    You mean the Baby seat Dave ?:D

Glad your happy with her ;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    To be honest Ade it was a number of things that came together to give the sensation of cog jumping:

1. The bike was sold to me as having a new chain set fitted - well that was largely bollox as the chain had stretched, the front sprocket was worn and there was a huge amount of grey grinding paste behind the front sprocket cover/chain guide;
    2. Due to the stretching the chain was a bit slack;
    3. When I checked on the way home, the chain looked very dry.

So a lack of maintenance on my part totally. This is what you get when you're used to running Scottoilers and you forget you haven't yet fitted one on the new bike :oops::oops:.

I decided to try the new 19T sprocket, just because I had it in stock and it takes no time at all to swap 'em over. As it feels so much better I'll be ordering a 19T front when I order my new chain set, at the end of the month.

Just need to keep and eye on it until then :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hiya mate, the Instrument of Torture is probably in Peak District landfill by now - there to rest for a 1000 years - before being discovered by stupid, arrogant archeologist tomb raiders who didn't hear/believe the curse of............................................

"Imhotep's Throne !!!!"

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Hey big lad as I'm Yorkshire I took the baby seat out of the skip and just sold it on eBay. Buyer asked to post it to France as its a present for someone who's got a tiger!! Snigger snigger

• Like Like x 3
  8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You BASTID !!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Ade, thanks for the suggestion but I've just ordered a chain oiler !!! Should be here soon so I'll make do with chain wax until then.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Sounds like a voice of experience :oops:;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Just to remind ourselves - this is the biglad servicing his Tiger!
    2016-08-12 07.54.35.jpg
    2016-08-12 07.54.41.jpg
    2016-08-12 07.54.44.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    and I haven't regretted it for a second ......................................................

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Could have chucked the big lads tracky bottoms in as well oh and those MASSIVE MASSIVE wet fart, sedimented, off white shtinken clapper trollies too! Heh heh

14. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I told you that you'd never forget the sight of them!

• Like Like x 1
  15. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    #14 thebiglad, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    Is that a negative comment about my under garments by any chance? If it is, it will be your choice of weapon - sweaty socks or long dead trollies - choose man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1