Scrambler Change Of Indicators Now Getting Error

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Uppers, Jun 2, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Uppers

Uppers Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Winchester
    Hey all,

My 2019 Scrambler 1200 XE is due for an MOT. The LED indicators that where installed by the previous owner would not pass the MOT as they sit too close to the brake light (less than 18cm).

Decided to replace with Motone Custom Billet Indicator Turn Signals (MC PART ID: XNM002B). Perhaps worth noting that these are bulb indicators and not LED. I replaced all four corners for the Motone indicators.

Changing them was a straight forward job however I'm now getting an error and some strange behaviour when I try to use them.

When I press the turn signal to the left, I get an error on the dash to say "Rear indicator - see manual". If I reset the indicator and try again, nothing, but then after a few seconds it then works. If I then try the hazards, initially nothing, but then after a couple of goes and a wait for 2 seconds they work. If I try the other side indicator I get the warning message, then after a couple tries it will work. When they indicate the flashing is at the correct speed and all bulbs work fine. Interestingly the warning/error never refers to the front indicators.

Hoping I'm not the first person to have this issue. Have I missed something or done something wrong?
    Be grateful if anyone can shed any light on this?

Many thanks

2. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    There are settings in the dash you have to change if you swop bulbs/led's

I cant remember how to get to them. You hold a specific sequence of buttons and turn the ignition on or something like that.
    Look up the part number for triumph LED indicators, then go over to Triumphinstrustions.com and enter the part number. You should find the info on changing the setting there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    This is the procedure for the ST and SS models, might be worth a try.....

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Uppers

Uppers Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Winchester
    Thanks guys for the support.

it does not seem like the Scrambler 1200 has a reset option like the others - at least not that I can find. The instructions for installing indicators omit the scrambler in the selecting indicator type.

Starting to wonder if the bike is just not compatible with old style filament bulbs.

Tried it again a moment ago and it worked and then switched it off and back on and now erroring as before.

5. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Does your bike have the “I” button? If so, hold it down to reset flash rate. 1,2,3,4 are different flash rates

6. Uppers

Uppers Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Winchester
    Hey Phil, thanks for the help, alas no, mine does not have the “I” button. Before I changed them over I’d heard that the bike would just automatically switch ‍♂️

Gone and ordered some LED T10 bulbs to swap out for the filament ones and see if that makes a difference - should be here tomorrow so I’ll update the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  7. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Pity the settings aren't there. My experience was with the thruxton r. It came with bulbs which I changed to LED's. Scrambler must have LED's as standard, I suppose its not common to 'downgrade' to bulbs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Uppers

Uppers Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Winchester
    I’m super pleased to announce that the replacement LED bulbs work fine.

These where the ones I went for should anyone else find this thread. Cost about £10 on Amazong.

Thanks for all the help

And what a relief

54A89BBF-F57A-4C27-9761-B12C81296C23.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
  9. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST
    Glad your sorted.
    I thought the problem was because the relay is not compatible?