Tiger 1050 Change My Speed Triple For Tiger Sport?

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by alanm, Jul 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. alanm

alanm Well-Known Member

May 13, 2016
    Swansea
    I love my ST - that engine is beautiful- but I need more luggage carrying capacity, 2 up riding capabilities and just a bit more comfort for a 2-3 month European trip.
    Is the Tiger sport the best way to go and is there anything that can up the performance easily and cheaply??

2. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
  3. alanm

alanm Well-Known Member

May 13, 2016
    Swansea
    It’s gonna be a month or so before I am in a position to buy so I doubt something as nice as that will still be around!!
    Happy with the performance and comfort??

4. Gary_P

Gary_P Active Member

May 19, 2016
    North Yorkshire
    I have been to France twice on this bike and it is all day comfortable. Performance is oustanding, way more than I could ever use, but it cruises at any speed with ease. Only selling as I got another bike and am struggling for space. Never had a pillion so cannot comment how they are 2-up.

Good luck with your search.

5. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    I went the other way from a Tiger Sport to a Speed.
    I changed the Sport because I didn't need it for touring anymore and I wasn't keen on the way it carried it's hefty weight fairly high up when manoeuvring on the bike and pushing the bike around (it's fine when on the move though).

I had two Sports, a 2015 model, which I hated the FI on, the fuelling was very poor at low revs and a right PITA.
    I upgraded it to a 2016 model with the upgraded engine, gearbox, FI etc and cruise control.
    Much better bike!
    Pretty much, the best bike I've ever had for touring, 200 mile+ tank range, the cruise control made it a doddle over long distances, the FI was much better and smoother. I went to the Isle of Man and the South of France on it and loved it (apart from the above mentioned issue of course).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. BenRR

BenRR New Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Toronto
    I recently traded my '16 speed trip R for a '16 tiger XCX 800. I couldn't be happier. The S3 was an amazing machine and I miss the raw power and the raw... awesomeness of it, but I find the tiger a better all around bike. It'll get up and boogie when you ask it to, is much more comfortable, and 2 up is no longer torture for my passenger!
    It is a lot to get used to; its a much bigger feeling bike and the ride is waaaay higher. I've got the standard seat height, and I'm 6'3" and cant touch flat foot comfortably at lights (almost). it is a little harder to maneuver at very low speeds, but its extremely solid feeling when you get moving any faster than 6 or 8 kph.

• Like Like x 1
  7. pat mills

pat mills New Member

Mar 26, 2018
    york
    Hi Alan - I bought a tiger sport (new model) when it came out in 2016 and on the whole I think it is an excellent bike, good for touring or a blast round the twisties; certainly no plans to change anytime soon unless a newer model comes out, but I would like to point out a couple of areas that you should check out when test riding.
    1. The mirrors whilst giving a great view are useless under hard acceleration or when traveling above ~ 55MPH as they are affected by vibrations; you dont feel this in your hands at all but is does affect mirrors.
    2. The Cruise Control is located on the right hand side, try it out when travelling, it is usable but fiddly.
    3. You may read about the modes (small button on the dashboard), the reviews state that you have to press the button on dash whilst the clutch is in - this is not true! push the button and at next clutch movement the mode will change.
    4. my new bike came with Pirelli Angel ST tyres - if you get a chance dump them off and buy better tyres; I have recently changed to Michelin Road 5's and it feels like a completely different bike - for the better.

Good luck in your search :)

8. alanm

alanm Well-Known Member

May 13, 2016
    Swansea
    Cheers guys, some food for thought there.

9. Ianrd

Ianrd New Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Scottish Borders
    Hi Alan
    total agree with pats post,also i've changed the can and put a lithium battery on the bike which has taken 9kg of top weight away what a difference

10. pat mills

pat mills New Member

Mar 26, 2018
    york
    Hi Ianrd
    I changed the Can on mine to the Arrow but had not considered a lithium battery; is the lithium battery smaller than the standard lead/acid in terms of size? are there any negatives to going Lithium?

Any insight appreciated

11. pat mills

pat mills New Member

Mar 26, 2018
    york
    Hi Ianrd
    I changed the Can on mine to the Arrow but had not considered a lithium battery; is the lithium battery smaller than the standard lead/acid in terms of size? are there any negatives to going Lithium?

Any insight appreciated

12. Ianrd

Ianrd New Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Scottish Borders
    Hi there
    the lithium battery is half the size of an AGM, you get more starting amps and a bit more space under the seat.The only negatives are if you leave it connected over the winter it will drain quicker than a AGM,thats if it has something drawing power eg;alarm and its better if you have a lithium battery charger

• Like Like x 2
  13. pat mills

pat mills New Member

Mar 26, 2018
    york
    Hi Alanm
    I have also been investigating the performance of my Tiger Sport, I started a thread on this you may have seen.
    Findings to date:
    There are a couple of approaches - PowerCommander route versus ECU flash versus ECU Map.
    I have not been able to find a Power Commander for my version of Tiger Sport
    I understand that Triumph may have locked down the ECU
    I understand that an ECU Map can be applied and appears to use another area of space on the ECU

concensus seems to be that HillTop @ Hinckly are a good place to go. and the low end to mid range would be massively improved

I will let you know how I get on

• Like Like x 1