Chains And Clip Links

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Malcolm Woods, Jan 7, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Malcolm Woods

Malcolm Woods Noble Member

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Just wondering if anyone out there are using a chain split link (clip type ) on there Bonneville, I am changing the chain on my Honda CRF250 green lane bike and it comes with a split link and a soft link, but I haven't got a soft link tool to form the link, I would buy one if necessary, Is a clip type link as good as a soft link, I don't know.
    thanks for your thoughts this.
    Malcolm Woods

2. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Personally, I wouldn’t risk it.
    I've had one break/fall out on a fzr1000 in 88 and i'd never have one again. I was only doing 30mph in portsmouth too.
    Chain wrapped around the front sprocket and snapped (exploded more like!) off the sprocket cover and smashed the crankcases.
    Snapped off the alternator too I think.
    A 5 min fix if your name is allen millyard but for a 18 year old, it took me 3 months of pain as engine cases had to be split and re-welded.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Had split links on loads of bikes especially race bikes. Got a 630 pitch chain on my Laverda, never had an issue. That's how most chains were for years, just make sure you face the clip the right way, you won't have an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  4. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Old bikes, ie late 60s and older get away with split links but the power of the bikes was considerably less then.
    The price of a proper tool is nothing compared to an engine smashed by a flailing chain as others have already said.
    Dont even think about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Don't think my 2004 Rsvr lacked much power or my 01 yamaha R1, both raced at club level for many seasons with split links.

6. KC1961

KC1961 Member

Nov 13, 2014
    West Lothian
    I usually bought split-link type chains for my dirt bikes. The side plate was usually an interference fit so even if the clip came off (which it never did) it's unlikely that the chain would separate anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    There are no lateral forces on a chain.

8. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Well, there aren't IF the chain is properly aligned on the sprockets, and the sprockets and chain are correctly matched for size?

9. PatW

PatW Senior Member

Apr 4, 2021
    Cymru
    Well you shouldn't be contemplating breaking and riveting a chain if you don't know how to adjust and align chains and sprockets correctly in the first place..

10. chuk

chuk Senior Member
    Subscriber

Jan 10, 2017
    neilston glasgow
    Don't risk a split link not for use on s heavy road bike,I've used them on my Motocross cr250 nothing heavier,if you were best I would lend you the tools