Chain Won't Adjust

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Spyder, Oct 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Spyder

Spyder New Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Brighton
    Sorry, I'm new to this single-sided swingarm malarkey. It looked so easy on Youtube but I simply can't get the adjuster to budge. Is this normal? Should I smack it with something? On sidestand as I haven't get got the bobbins adapters. Also, when I re-tighten the locknut, the chain gets a bit tauter.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Welcome Spyder. :grinning:
    How old is your bike? It’s quite common for the adjustment hub to seize up if it’s been neglected at a service schedule and has not been greased up. o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Welcome Spyder. Yup like freck said, it could be seized up, or being on the side stand is making it a lot more difficult. My is on a rear stand and I find it to be a finicky job for sure. I would suggest trying it with the rear tire off the ground before any drastic measures are employed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    I assume you mean the pinch bolt right at the rear end of the swingarm which needs to be slackened for adjustment and then retightened. - If you're undoing nuts then you're doing it wrong. :)
    +1 what freck says, the hub assembly should be stripped out of the swingarm and greased (I use copper grease) at least once every couple of years, unfortunately dealers rarely do this, and it's a bit pot luck as to whether it came out of the factory well greased. Greasing of the rear suspension linkage is another area that can often get neglected by the stealers.
    If you've only just bought the bike from a dealer I would take it back to them to check whether it's seized or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Spyder
    Welcome to the family. Yes if the bike is new to you let the dealer correct the adjustment. Do drop the inmates a picture of the as here in the asylum we like pictures.
    Regards & Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Spyder

Spyder New Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Brighton
    Thanks for the replies. The bike is 15 years old, 12500 miles so the adjuster could well be seized. I'll have to clean it up as suggested.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Spyder

Spyder New Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Brighton
    The info you all gave is just what I needed to know btw.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Make sure you have a well fitting C spanner for the adjustment too.........and don’t be smacking it with anything! :p

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    If you suspect seizure then an overnight soak in penetrating oil followed by a sharp, vertical tap on the head (bolt, not yours) should free off any corrosion.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Spyder

Spyder New Member

Sep 29, 2019
    Brighton
    Do I have to remove the hub etc to do this, or can I just spray it in situ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    In situ, accepting it is tight up behind the sprocket.

• Agree Agree x 2