Chain Replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Graeme Copland, Jan 1, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Graeme Copland

Graeme Copland New Member

Nov 25, 2018
    Darlington
    hi happy new year to everyone just wondering I have a triumph sprint ST which is the single sided swing arm and no indication on wen the chain needs replacing how would I no this please thanks in advance

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Have you looked in your Owners Handbook? If you've don't have a copy you can download one. Under the section 'Chain and Sprocket Wear Inspection' it includes measuring length of links to detect wear.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Chains and sprockets wear together - the gearbox sprocket more than the rear simply because it turns more.
    The quick and easy test is to grasp a link at the pin on the rear sprocket and pull it rearwards off the sprocket. You should barely be able to move it but a worn chain/sprocket will come apart a few mm. 4 or 5 mm is a pretty tired chain.
    You should also test each link for tightness or excessive wear. It is a quirk that chains do not wear evenly so you will notice when adjusting the chain that the slack will vary at different points of chain rotation.
    https://www.wemoto.com/info/motorcycle_chain_and_sprocket_guide

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The general rule to replace a drive chain are, does it fail one of the following.
    Several links are seized up or close to it, you have a really bad tight spot that if you adjust chain at , the rest of the chain is So loose ! Or at the rear sprocket, you can pull or lift the chain off the sprocket several mm's !

And definitely if the chain can or will bend significantly side to side !

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    I agree. The OM shows you exactly how to check for chain/sprocket wear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    This is from a speed triple manual, guess it's the same image.png

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    I am close, I think, to replacing the chain on my 955i. As I slowly learn my way around the bike, this seems like a reasonably advanced activity for a newbie - with tools, the manual, and lots of advice.

On the assumption that the chain IS in need of replacement - it does seem to be the original chain at 25k miles...and little splinters of rubber are poking out between the links in some places (I assume these are bits of O ring), is this any good as a replacement?

https://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/s...-premium-strength-free-chain-tool-32816-p.asp

What should I be looking for in a new chain? Other than being "shiny and gold"...anything else? I will of course do both sprockets too!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Hi yes ZVMX by DID is a proper long lasting job! With good sprockets and regular lubing should last many 1000 miles / years,. Is the chains are normally endless, you may need to grind off the old chain and have a riveting tool for the fitment (or slip your local shop 20 quid for chain swap if you do the sprockets first ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You have picked a top end replacement package. It may well outlast your ownership of the bike.....
    Given the work involved, cheap chains are a marginal saving even when you do the work yourself. It is easy enough to split a chain by grinding the head of a pin but the biggest thing to attend to is securely flattening the head on the replacement. You can do it with a cheap tool which is semi disposable but the loan of a quality riveter makes it much easier to accomplish.
    Lots on YouTube.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thanks chaps....all taken on board, and glad I chose a goodn'!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Hello hive mind...

Using your hugely valued collective advice once again...and on teh assumption I am now going to progress this chain replacement with (as above):

https://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/s...-premium-strength-free-chain-tool-32816-p.asp

what sprocket combinations should I be going for? I assume it may well be in my manual...(but i am at work, and itching to buy)!

Or...if there is a different tooth combination, why, what does it do, and what might i notice?

Thanks!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    What sprockets have you got ?
    If you want more perky more revvy? delivery go down one at front and
    up one at rear for a noticeable change.

If too perky and you want more relaxed feel better economy go up on front down on rear.

If you are happy as is then stick to same.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire

That's a very good point - what do I have now! I'll count some teeth when I get home! I think I may prefer more relaxed - thank you for explaining!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    ...and another thing...I am happy to grind the old chain off...is connecting the new one obvious and easy...or tools required?

(Or, as suggested above, change the sprockets myself, and then see if the local garage will do a chain swap?)

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    You will need a riveting tool to fit the link on the new chain, so if you swap the sprockets , don't grind the chain off unless you have the tool ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    https://www.gearingcommander.com/

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    @DanielB
    You don't live a million mile from me mate, I'm in High Wycombe
    If you have the chain and sprockets, I have the tools (Dremil for removing old pin, chain breaker/riviter, stand, tools for wheel, spindle and sprocket removal)
    Have changed a few chains on my Speed Triples in the past

What bike is it on?

Happy to help one evening or weekend

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Excellent Red Thunder, I may well take you up on that!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    What bike is it for?

• Agree Agree x 1