Chain Monkey

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by DanielB, Apr 10, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Hello all, I know this may have been touched upon elsewhere, but I was hoping for a definitive yay or nay...

Does the orange chain monkey tool ''fit' the 955i (2002)? Or is there interference on the swingarm or anything?

Thanks all!

2. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    No. But I want one!

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. SamTheExplorer

Nov 26, 2017
    Cambridge, UK
    Hi Daniel,

I have not had the bike long but liked the idea of the Chain Monkey and like a novel gadget even if I am dangerous with spanners... Here it is on my 53 plate Speed Triple 955i.

It fits but I have not used it to adjust the chain yet...

I have also put a picture of the Chain Monkey settings table. According to the bike manual the chain should have 35-40mm of slack. That does not nicely sit in the table so the Chain Monkey may need a bit of careful set up first time but will then be set for future and should make life a little simpler?!

I hope this helps!

Cheers!

Sam

20190411_091238.jpg

20190411_091257.jpg

20190411_091350.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    That table looks a bit approximate to me

5. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Sam, thank you so much. Really useful!

MattP....what do you mean (I don't want to buy or of it isn't doing what it's supposed to! ) :confused:

6. SamTheExplorer

Nov 26, 2017
    Cambridge, UK
    Hi Daniel,

I think the issue is that on the face of it, the Chain Monkey does not appear very precise, especially they way the settings table is presented. There are lots of YouTube videos reviewing it and even explaining the maths/engineering behind it which is well beyond me...

It is very simple to use and I believe that if set up and checked properly the first time to ensure the slack is that stated in the manual the Chain Monkey will add convenience and save time for future chain tension checks. Each to their own though...

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  7. MattP

MattP Active Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Leeds
    Yes, that's what I meant, precision. I should have been more precise :D

Setting 4, for example, gives a range covering 12mm or nearly half an inch in old money, so it might be 65mm, or it might be 77mm, or anywhere in between.