Chain And Sprockets

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Rainman, Nov 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Wiltshire
    Good morning all - A few months ago I became the happy owner of a 2001 790 Bonneville and joined this amazing forum.

I have carried out a few improvements and am now going through all the remaining jobs that will need to be done to it...

I was having trouble tensioning the chain correctly and noticed that the links were rising up on the rear sprocket teeth and that the chain had a few tight spots so I have now stripped it all out.

It looks like the rear sprocket was probably renewed at some point as its still in fairly good condition but the front sprocket however is worn and the teeth hooked so probably original. The rollers on the chain are quite wobbly on their pins.

The question is can anybody help with choosing the ideal front/rear sprocket teeth combination and new chain selection? The ones that are fitted are 43 tooth rear and 17 tooth front.

Thinking that its probably a good idea to replace the swing arm bearings too and there was water and corrosion on the swing arm axle as it passes through the rear crankcase castings...

Any advice on this would be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance, Shaun

2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. feckless

feckless Noble Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Cumbria
  4. Cape Cod Carl