Sprint Centre Stand?

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Big Sandy, May 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I have no centrestand fitted on my Sprint, (1996 900) use a paddock stand at home, side stand when out.

Sidestand makes the bike lean at an insane angle to my eyes, so thought I would get a centrestand. I've never trusted that sidestand!

Found one on eblagg, supposed to fit sprint and trophy/trident

Now, I have non standard cans, but I see from trying to fit the stand that it's actually the centre section that's in the way, that pipe that joins the two sides together. That stops the stand from lifting altogether. As to how the cans affect its operation, I haven't got a clue, as I can't get it fitted enough to lift it up so see how they might get in the way.

So, I've checked the parts book, and see that sprint and trident/trophy stands are different part numbers. So that suggests they ain't the same.... I reckon I got a trident one. They look the same in the parts book visually but hey, why make a new diagram if you don't have to?

I guess I'm looking at another stand :( but would appreciate it if somebody with a sprint of my vintage could get a photo of theirs please, so I can compare what I have with how it should be. You can see why I bought 2nd hand... Didn't fancy spending £120 on a new stand only to find the cans stop me using it... Though given the fact its cost me about £40 already what with bushes, bolts and springs etc I wouldn't be much more out of pocket.... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  2. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Sprints have a 17" rear wheel. Tridents have an 18" rear wheel, so I guess the stands will be slightly different. Not something I'd thought about before! Standard silencer on lhs has a rubber bung to stop the stand crashing into it. Non standard cans may need a bit of imagination to stop the stand hitting them - probably why it's gone AWOL.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    That makes sense @stevethegoolie thanks.

Its the same width, holes line up quite happily... But it fouls the centre section of exhaust, so I guess the difference must be in the top couple of inches. Can't even get it to swing far enough to foul on the cans! Hey ho. Looks like it's a trip back to ebay..... Or some creative welding and fabrication.

4. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    #4 Big Sandy, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Found this on the bay of E...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-...731532&hash=item3b31cf37b9:g:Q~4AAOSwjBNc4~wD

It says....

Triumph Trophy
    Centerstand

• Manufacturer: Triumph
    • Part # T2080710
    • Condition: Used
    • Condition Description:
      This is a used centerstand in good condition. It is a little dirty from previous use and storage but looks good.
    • Fits Make: Triumph
    • Fits Models:

Sprint: 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997 & 1998

Trident: 1995, 1996, 1997 & 1998

Trophy 900: 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002 & 2003
    Only problem I have with this one is, it's £35...which is reasonable, but it's in the USA, and carriage is £65.

Part number quoted might be useful though....so I put that into world of triumph, and it's £113 plus vat and delivery. That number if you search, it doesn't tell you what it fits, just what it is.

Part number on the w.o.t parts page for sprint, carbs ... Completely different number. Sigh. Same price though!

5. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    From what I can see the stand for Sprint, Trident and Trophy are actually the same number, PFKL1205919, according to the WOT website parts section, so should be okay. May be a WOT own part number which differs from actual Triumph numbers. Fowlers are sometimes cheaper and apparently quote the Triumph part no. and not their own - allegedly.
    I seem to remember my main stand needed replacing under warranty as it became bent out of shape (presumably) whilst on holiday in Scotland. It would not quite lift the rear wheel off the floor. I was advised not to push it off the main stand whilst sitting on the bike especially with a full load on. Or was he just politely saying I was (still am!) fat? Hum! So perhaps your replacement is slightly out of shape? Just a thought!

6. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    The PFKL..... numbers are WOTs own references but if you add them to your basket then view it, it will show the Triumph part number.
    Fowlers do have the Triumph numbers on their parts lists.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    The Triumph number came up with the same price and details, but wouldn't say what models it fitted!

I think it's pretty straight, would hold the bike off the ground (it touches the floor when loosely fitted with the back end on a paddock stand) it just will not fold up out of the way! I expected to have a problem with the cans, but not for the original pipework to be giving a problem. From what I can see, that doesn't appear to be adjustable. I am just going to have to put up with the side stand until I come up with a solution I think. I just don't trust the side stand, it looks overly flimsy for the weight of the bike. I assume it isn't, but the thoughts there....

8. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Doe the angle of dangle on my Trident make feel any happier??

DSCF1528.JPG

DSCF1530.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  9. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Thanks @stevethegoolie that's reassuring. I think mines probably about the same lean, bit more even... It just looks a crazy angle!

I live in fear of it lying itself down, I'd hate to have to pick it up, it's fechin heavy! :D

10. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    That looks a perfect angle to me.
    Some bikes are just too upright on the stand to me.

• Like Like x 2
  11. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Probably looks worse than it is although I do understand your concerns. Still scares the hell out of me sometimes even after almost 24 years of ownership!!:eek: At least it shouldn't fall over the other way!:relieved:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    That's a very valid point. :) the way mine leans, you could be forgiven for thinking it could pivot and flip itself over!

I nearly lost a Kawasaki taking it off the stand, just lost centre of balance, and off it went. Fortunately my mate was stood on the other side and stopped me and the bike from going over... He never let me forget it either.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Out of interest do you park with the wheels straight mostly, or do you aim into the left?

14. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Usually to the left, especially if I need to use the steering lock (well I would wouldn't I?). I usually leave it in gear as well just to be on the safe side, depending on where it is parked.
    All depends on what I'm doing and where I am really.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tim Schultz

Tim Schultz Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have owned my 96 Sprint since it was uncrated. 50K miles and still going strong. Tried to capture some good pics for u as mine is stock cans and pipes, can't do much more as I live in South Dakota, USA. Just got 06 BMW K1200S last summer and had to buy rear pit bull stand as it has no center stand and the side stand is even thinner than the Sprint one. No worries though my Sprint side stand has worked well for 23 years. When out and about I've always used it, no problems, IMG_4634.JPG IMG_4636.JPG IMG_4637.JPG IMG_4638.JPG IMG_4635.JPG but do admit when in garage it's on the center stand.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Thanks @Tim Schultz that's really helpful :)

The problem I'm having is the bits that the springs attach to, it's the throttle side one that's fouling the exhaust pipe. Not sure if undoing the joints and fettling the centre section of pipe is going to sort that, it's hitting it big time.

Those photos really help, I can see what's where now :)

17. Tim Schultz

Tim Schultz Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Here's a couple more pic's for u.
    My service manual doesn't have much just a diagram of assembly.
    Good luck. IMG_4641.JPG IMG_4642.JPG IMG_4643.JPG IMG_4647.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  18. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Thank you very very much @Tim Schultz those photos are really really helpful.

I am 100% certain it's the right stand I have, it looks exactly the same as yours. The problem is just the two lugs that the return springs attach to, they foul the pipework (the pipe that joins in the middle under the engine)

So, it looks like the exhaust has to come apart, to open that centre joint out a bit. I need about 3/8 of an inch.

Then, work out where I can fit a bung as a stop! Probably a stainless band round the can with a bung on it... Work that out when I get there!

Thanks again for all the help on this, much appreciated. True what they say about a picture speaking a thousand words, isn't it!?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    #19 Oldyam, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Only two center stands fit your sprint

Triumph, SPRINT (carb models), Side Stand
    Triumph, TROPHY (From VIN 29156) , Side Stand

If you go to fowlers parts list and note the part number then go to the parts browser at the top of the page
    click on it,
    enter the part number
    click search
    at the bottom of the box that comes up click on "view linked bikes"
    This then shows all the bikes fitted with that part number
    Yours throws up only the two matches above.

Which bike did yours come off ?
    As you've already found they are all very similar to look at !

EDIT : Ebay sellers often list parts as fitting many bikes because they dont know and dont bother to check, the center stand you have could easily be off a T300 model that isnt compatible.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Ebay..... But the seller said it was off a sprint, and the other stuff he was selling was. Still... I guess it might not be.... EBay being what ebay is.