Centre Stand For A Speed Twin Or Paddock Stand

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by adrian knight, Jul 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. adrian knight

adrian knight Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2019
    HAMPSHIRE
    Hi i want to remove the Cat from my Speed Twin but i either need a centre stand or Paddock stand.
    so does anybody make a centre stand for a Speed Twin or can anyone recommend a Paddock stand.
    the swinging arm has 8mm threads for bobbins.
    this is because the frame rail needs loosening to remove the Cat looking at videos of the process.

Cheers Ady .

2. adrian knight

Jul 8, 2019
    HAMPSHIRE
    yeah its a Modern 2019 model.
    i don't think the original model would of had a Cat :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. adrian knight

Jul 8, 2019
    HAMPSHIRE
    that links actually for street twin not a speed twin but thanks for your help :)

4. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    Well, id say either will work for the cat/ xpipe job. So, id go with a center stand. I wish they made on for my Thruxton R. A CS has many uses and no pulling out the paddock stand for chain maintenance and and other stuff.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    It will have to be a paddock stand, Triumph made no mounting points for a centre stand. However, there are threaded points on the swingarm for paddock stand bobbins.

6. Bryf

Bryf Guest

#6 Bryf, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2019
    £30 - £40 will get you a decent rear paddock stand and around £10 - £15 for bobbins, you"ll need these in any case for chain lubing etc, once you got you got, and can use on all future bikes (as long as not single sided swing arm), I've been using mine for years and years now. ps, You can get adjustable one's if you need a little more height for the likes of what your doing, ghostbikes are selling one at a good price (£31.99).

• Like Like x 2
  7. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    The paddock stand I used (once) on mine left the rear wheel between 4 - 5" off the ground - I'm still looking for one that leaves it less than an inch which means less strain on everything - including me !!!

8. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    Another Speed Twin in Hampshire. I've just bought the Oxford Premium rear stand Adrian which does the job well using R&G bobbins which screw straight into the threads provided in the swing arm. I also bought a rear stand from R&G but that isn't angled right and I couldn't get the bike off the floor.
    Also just ordered one of these;
    https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637188887/motorcycle-front-wheel-chock-heavy-duty

I found this RIDE article helped with my choice of Oxford stand.

Attached Files:

9. adrian knight

Jul 8, 2019
    HAMPSHIRE
    is this them model you bought
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OXFORD-H...169159&hash=item3f929549bc:g:InUAAOSwZR9afEuj

do you use them both together to help make the bike more stable

10. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    Yeah, that's the one, although I paid 10p more and got it from SportsBikeShop.co.uk who are brilliant.

I haven't yet got the front chock thing, should arrive tomorrow. I'm getting it so I can put the bike in my van or trailer and of course it will be useful in the garage or cleaning the bike outside etc. Apparantly it's a way of holding the bike upright when you lift the rear onto the stand, so I've read.

At some point I'll look out for a front paddock stand though for those jobs where you need to spin the front wheel etc.

Here's one in use;

11. adrian knight

Jul 8, 2019
    HAMPSHIRE
    thanks i will go with that one then , i think the front wheel chock is a good idea too

12. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    Here's the Sealey chock. I flipped the door mat over to give it some grip and stop the stand skidding across the floor. Works ok. I tried a couple of holes before this set up and I think I could move the rocking bit another hole back maybe. It isn't very wide and it is designed to be bolted down to a floor, like a trailer or van floor, as I may well do. I might bolt it to a thick sheet of ply for use inside and outside the garage so it's a bit more stable.

IMG_0982.jpg

13. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    And here's the bike up on the Oxford stand. Works well and do it on my own.

IMG_1022.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Bike looks well.....

15. adrian knight

Jul 8, 2019
    HAMPSHIRE
    have you tried using the paddock stand with the the bike in the chock ?

16. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    Not yet actually Adrian. Keeping the bike balanced while I get the rear stand sorted was a bit of a worry with a brand new bike but I've got the hang of it now.

If anyone has some advice on the front chock I'd be grateful. I think one more hole back towards the bike would get the wheel to drop a bit deeper into the stand......and be a bit harder to pull back out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bryf

Bryf Guest

#17 Bryf, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2019
    I have heard that using wheel chocks long term can cause problems with the forks, seals going causing leaks and even distortion of the forks themselves, there are forces generated when the wheel hits the stop, apparently it also causes unnatural pressures on the actual forks whilst just sitting in it which is further increased when used in conjunction with a rear stand as this tends push the bike forward slightly increasing this pressure?? why don't you consider a simple front stand which is designed to be used in conjunction with the rear and which also allows you to be able to spin the front wheel which is handy when cleaning the bike etc also if you put the bike off the road for any reason, over winter storage etc, it keeps both tyres off the floor which stops them distorting as well. The chock is brilliant if you need to move the bike within a van etc but other than that I would choose simple paddock stands for general use.

18. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    That's interesting Bryf. As you say, long term, the forks will be compressed a bit while in a front chock as the wheel is effectively off the ground a bit and if you then lift the rear it sort of pulls the two wheels apart a bit until the rear stand is fully under the rear.
    I was going to get the matching Oxford front stand for cleaning and work on the front etc and as you suggest, maybe over-winter storage.
    Although I have now seen the stands made by Harris Performance which I rather like the look of so my Oxford stand might be on ebay soon.
    https://www.harris-performance.com/...fork-universal-stainless-steel-paddock-stand/

If I can get the front wheel to drop deeper into the chock so the bike is level and upright (and/or put a bit of wood under the rear tyre to compensate), it would be a good way to be able to check oil and coolant levels.

19. Bryf

Bryf Guest

If I can get the front wheel to drop deeper into the chock so the bike is level and upright (and/or put a bit of wood under the rear tyre to compensate), it would be a good way to be able to check oil and coolant levels.[/QUOTE]

Bit of faffing about there though :joy: to check the oil simply hold the front brake on and pull the bike to vertical whilst looking at the spy glass, simples!!!! :p

20. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    Yeah I know the simples version, check was the wrong word. I mean set the levels, that kind of thing, then the faffing is worthwhile. :)