Tiger Explorer Center Stand

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by roger ellis, Jan 26, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. roger ellis

roger ellis New Member

Jan 26, 2023
    Chester
    #1 roger ellis, Jan 26, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    Tiger 1200 Center Stand

Traded my 900 for a 1200, and not sure if I have made the right decision (due ground handling)…

For instance - the center stand. I heard horror stories about getting the 1200 on the center-stand, but found it fairly easy when using the pannier frame to lift it on. Think it would be difficult without that bar.

BUT…. How the f do you get it off??

I huffed and puffed for half an hour. I am flat-foot on the bike (6ft 4in), but when it is on the center stand, I cannot touch the ground. I had a nightmare that I would have to ask a passer by for assistance, much to their amusement I am sure.

Anyway, the game is about rear leverage. So I stood at the back of the bike and lifted the rear rack with both hands. It came off really easy, but now I am left with a 250 kg dead weight, and no lateral support. Luckily it leant left and rested on the side stand. But I don’t want to do that again.

Any ideas?

My old BSA from the 70s had a curving center-stand like bull horns, which acted like a cross between a rocking-chair and a lever arm, which made the entire operation much simpler. I don’t think Triumph put much thought into this center stand.

RE