Featured Center Stand Review

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by speeder, Jan 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Fed up with the limitations of only having a prop stand l went for the motech kit.
    To fit this the bike has to be supported with the suspension unloaded, this stage is important as you do not want the bike falling over while you are underneath..
    It could get damaged!
    I removed the rider footrest pins, turned them over,refitted pins and then lifted bike onto a couple of axle stands.

Fitting is a bit fiddley but provided the instructions ate followed EXACTLY all will be well.
    Tip: When removing the lower engine mount bolt slacken the nut first, it is easier than trying to loosen it from the other (torx) end.
    Fitting the spring is easy using a steel rod about 10 mm diameter wit a slot ground onto the end, a special tool is available for this by I made one easily.

Now I can remove either wheel with ease and adjust / replace the chain, even cleaning the bike is easier .

Incase you were wondering, there is no chance of grounding the stand on corners,it is well tucked up out of the way.
    In my opinion this is the best single mod anyone could do on a speedy.

WP_20190106_11_49_32_Pro.jpg

WP_20190106_11_49_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20190106_11_50_13_Pro.jpg

WP_20190106_11_50_32_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. Hamburg

Hamburg Senior Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Oxford, UK
    Thats a good mod, I do like a centre stand, the bike always just feels more secure in the garage on a centre stand.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Every bike should have a centre stand :)
    Annoys the feck out of me that NUDGER hasn’t got one :mad:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  4. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Hi dozer,
    No, it's well clear of the arm....the pics are not very clear, what you are seeing is the foot peg part of the stand and the paint has rubbed where I stick my size 13 boot on it!

5. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Hi Speeder, would certainly make chain oiling easier when away touring and looks a well made piece of kit. Can you measure the distance between foot peg and the stand foot plate (when up), still not sure if it will leave space for my size 10's with ball of foot on the peg.

6. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Hi,
    I doubt you would have a problem, l am size 13 and my heels do not touch the stand, it is slightly inboard of the rider footpeg.
    I have attached a picture.

WP_20190106_17_57_12_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Thanks for that Speeder, it must sit inboard of your boot as I need about 8" ball to heel for clearance.
    I'm just a bit paranoid about it as I spent 2 years cursing the centre-stand on my Multistrada. :laughing:

8. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    No problem, in practice your heel is seldom level with the peg, usually it is slightly higher I.e. your toes point slightly downward so I don't think you will actually be touching the stand.

• Like Like x 2
  9. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    would like to see a few pics of where its mounted to engine casings

10. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Hi Sam,
    Difficult to get a decent shot under there, the stand pivots on plates bolted to the lower engine mount and fixed suspension point.
    Quality and design are good, completely rigid and no flex whatsoever.
    When you see the amount of hardware that comes with the kit it is easy to see why they are a little expensive.

WP_20190107_10_14_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20190107_10_14_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20190107_10_15_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20190107_10_15_29_Pro.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  11. KJK

KJK New Member

Jun 25, 2018
    Scotland
    Hi Speeder
    Silly question here but it's it difficult to raise the bike onto the centre stand as l see you don't have any pillion grab rails fitted? Do you use the pillion footrest to help raise it up or do you use some other method?
    I'm asking this as I have a Dark R which also doesn't have grab rails fitted and I'm thinking of going down this route
    Cheers

12. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    got to say it does look like a well engineered bit of kit ,didn't see a price though

13. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
  14. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    Hi,
    I use the pillion foot rest mounting bars to pull the bike onto the stand, you could use the handle bars but it would be a big heave.
    When on the stand the rear wheel is well clear of the ground, the front is lightly touching, so to remove the front wheel I just put a block or jack under the engine.
    Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    It would appear the ‘spur’ you lower the stand with is like pretty much every other centre stand. If you stand on it, it acts as another short lever to fully deploy the stand?

16. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    One other thing, if anybody buys one of these stand and finds they can't get the spring on, let me know and you can copy the tool l made.

• Like Like x 1
  17. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
  18. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Totally agree with you two! :cool:
    My 2016 Tiger came with a centre stand fitted as standard but they are an now an "option" on the new model Tigers. :mad:
    (Also, the new Tigers come in gloss black as standard (Dilli is pleased) - but you have to pay extra for any other colour.
    Trouble is, only the base model has gloss black as an option)

• Like Like x 2
  19. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    The XRt and the XCa versions have a centre stand as standard, but it's an option on all the others....

20. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Haha of course! The top of the range models - well it's something I suppose. :cool: