Ce Approval

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by DanielB, Feb 3, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Evenin'

So, if a jacket is "CE Approved"; does that mean that the whole jacket has some sort of level of protection?

The jacket has CE lvl 1 back, shoulders, elbows.

But I 'heard' that the "CE Approved Jacket" description refers to the whole jacket, so there may be some abrasion resistance to the actual material.

There was no tag or label describing any special woven fibres.

Does anyone know...?

For info it's a "Frank Thomas - Nimbus"

I'll ask them tomorrow directly, but wondered what others thought..

2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Just read about it , I think that wording means certain parts are rated ! & Approved to level 1 , lower level , the armour I what I think has been rated and assessed !
    Would be good for general road use and some tracks may accept it !

3. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thanks @capt. That's what I thought too, as in the selling point is "it's CE approved"; but the detail is that "some of it, the pads, are CE rated".

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheBeardedPunk

TheBeardedPunk Senior Member

Oct 7, 2021
    Belgium
    Modern gear should have a rating going from A ( lowest) to AAA (highest) in it. If it’s an older jacket, the CE approval labels can be quite sketchy, some manufacturers put in that label if some part of the jacket has an approval, but it didn’t mean the entire jacket was approved. It usually stated it somewhere in very fine print somewhere on a tag.

The A lvl really is meant for slow urban riding, a round around the block or a trip to the local watering hole. Anything to be used at above city traffic speeds should be at least at the AA level.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. DanielB

DanielB Noble Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon, Oxfordshire
    Thanks, and agreed. :)