Catalytic converters and AI and Lambda sensors removal in 2008 Speedmaster

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by alex74, Aug 21, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. alex74

alex74 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Marden, Kent
    Hi all,

I'm new (since I just recently bought my first Triumph Speedmaster) and went through many topics on different forums, but couldn't find answers for a couple of questions I have:

1. Does 2008 UK EFI Speedmaster model have cat convertors in Exhaust AND (!) exhaust pipe headers ? Why I'm asking is cause I'd like to remove Lambda sensors as well as get rid of AI too, but people suggest that some Speedmasters have cat converters not in exhausts only but in headers too... anyone to shed any light on it ?

2. No-one seems to have Cocktail shakers exhausts. If I remove AI, O2/Lambda sensors and re-map computer, can I use ANY exhaust or do I need to use specific ones ?

Thanks

2. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    See an earlier thread on this page titled -

Oxygen lambda o2 sensor kit

it answers most of your question , I've got slash cut pipes on mine (2008 America) - they were on when I bought it - I did the lambda sensor conversion & the AI conversion (bunging up airbox etc etc ) and didn't need to remap the bike - it now runs loads better , in fact its perfect :) - I can only assume the remap was done when the slash cut pipes were put on .

3. alex74

alex74 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Marden, Kent
    Thanks guys... Another one then... Do aftermarket air filters have any influence ? I suppose remapping of the computer takes that into account too ? Is it actually worth upgrading air filter ?

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Again if you look at the TTP site under breathe and also the airbox baffle removal, it should explain things.

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Alex, to answer your question No. 2 - yes you can install any exhaust if you are prepared to re-map the ECU to match the mods, to ensure the fuelling is in the correct ratio. Obvious with a bike as stylish as yours, aesthetics plays a part as well.

I'm assuming you have a clear reason why you want to get rid of AI and O² sensors - don't forget the airbox mods to help the bike breath to it's optimum.

6. alex74

alex74 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Marden, Kent
    Cool. Thanks for all these posts. Can I ask you yet another question. My Cocktail Shakers are short exhausts and not straight through as there is an insert bit in them. Anyway, say I remove AI in addition to the removal of O2 Lambda sensors. If the remapping isn't done what would be a consequences ? Would it be risky to run the engine as is ? At least can I try starting it ? Sorry if the question is a bit silly, but I just bought the whole bike in excellent condition and don't want to ruin it instead of getting it run better :)

7. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Not a silly question! I beleive You can run without the AI without remap but you will have to use something like tune ecu
    And suitable cable to "tell" the ecu that they are still there, I beleive the lambda removal will need remap due to it regulating mixture. BIGLAD has written a lot about this so he will put you right.

8. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Alex, re your question about do you need a re-map with cocktail shakers straight away, or can you run your bike with them but without a remap.

If it were me and I was only - in the short term - going to add the shakers,I wouldn't change anything else. I would the AI and the O² sensors in place. It's quite complicated to explain but in the short term just change your pipes and enjoy the bigger sound.

Do the full remap and at that time remove the snorkle, airbox baffle plate, get a 'Breath' cover plate, put in a DNA cotton air filter, remove the O² sensors and get a map that will take into account all these mods, at one go.

• Like Like x 1
  9. alex74

alex74 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Marden, Kent
    wow ! Great, thanks guys...

10. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    My personal experience of this was that I bought my bike with short pipes on (as in pic) - but everything else was standard & in place (although I since believe the ecu may have been remapped when the shorter silencers were fitted) .
    The bike ran okay , but did used to pop and bang quite lot on shutdown of the throttle.
    I then fitted a K&N air filter when I gave the bike a full service (this made no apparent difference)
    I then removed the o2 sensors from the downpipes & blanked the connections (this made the bike pop & bang more than ever.
    I then did the AI conversion - removing all the plumbing for the air return system & blocking the hole in the airbox (at this point , I expected the engine management light to come on but it didn't, indicating that a remap may have already taken place)
    The popping & banging stopped , the bike ran smoother , acceleration improved , it sounded slightly quieter , and is now running really well , plug colour is spot on whereas before it was running a little too lean & the down pipes aren't blueing anymore (one was starting to more than the other) . I also think the bike is using slightly less fuel .

• Like Like x 1
  11. alex74

alex74 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Marden, Kent
    Cool... one thing though about short/long exhausts... Twin Power Triumph supply ECU tunes based on whether you have 46cm and less exhaust or longer than 46cm... What is this about ? My Cocktail Shakers are 46 cm long when they are "plugged" into down pipes, what do I need to select then ????

12. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Your best bet to get a clear answer is to contact TTP here and speak to someone direct , they are a friendly lot so don't be shy. Let us know the outcome

13. alex74

alex74 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Marden, Kent
    Spoke to them, they now suggested to use Tune 3... Anyway, it appears that 46cm "limit" is a random number and there is nothing special about it :)
    Coughed up the sum :( and now waiting for DNA filter, "Breathe" and the Tune :) delivery

14. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    #14 crispey, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    you will find it all worth it I am sure. have you got your OBD-2-USB cable and blanking bolts? Look here for AI removal hints and tips and here for any bits. since I removed my AI it has either been raining or I have been at wor.... cough cough! but for the little 30 min run I did it certainly ran a lot smoother especially at low speeds.
    Another thing (this won't cost you anything) Download "tune ecu" so that you can copy your old map just incase, as I think the TTP map comes integrated in its own tune programme and I cant remember seeing the option to save the map that's on the bike already. When you've done it all you will realise how easy it is and how worthwhile. Good Luck

15. alex74

alex74 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Marden, Kent
    I've got the original map already downloaded... Now need to remove the AI and unplug the solenoid, then DNA filter, Breathe and new map.... BTW, The Cocktail shakers sound hmmm... a bit too loud :) Although people don't seem to be turning their heads too often, so perhaps, not that loud after all....

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    ideally its got to be loud enough to scare small kids & old women coming out of the bingo hall on the high street , you'll know when you've got it about right though , when you go past a posh countryside farm cafe & well to do ladies start shaking their heads & tutting :cool:

17. alex74

alex74 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Marden, Kent
    Ok. Whats done.
    1. AI is gone (including solenoid - thanks to this video )
    2. Lambda sensors are gone
    3. Breathe + DNA Air filter installed
    4. Re-programmed computer with Tune 3

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Still raining, hopefully as soon as it dries out I'll test it on the road...

Interesting thing - engine reported faulty AI solenoid... But after clearing the error seems to be not doing it any more.

Will keep you posted...

• Like Like x 1
  18. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    That error report is normal and clearing it will sort it. Hope you get her out tomorrow/today I'm sure you'll be pleased

19. alex74

alex74 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Marden, Kent
    Got her out earlier today... Seems to be a problem to maintain idle when from cold. With choke out starts no problem though. Once temp is up seems to be maintaining idle ok.... Anyway, the sound is awesome, and plenty of power....

20. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Great news, when I did all this my cold start changed. Instead of having to pull the cold start knob out fully I only had to pull it out half way, still need a little bit to start when warm too. Let her warm up for a while before heading off. It sets the closed throttle position.

• Like Like x 1