Cat removal

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by TEZ 217, Apr 3, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Anyone on here removed the catalitic converter, if so how much of a job? and what were the results both noise and running ? Did it need a re-map ?
    Read many a link on the subject, just wondered if done by anyone on this forum recently.

2. mentalist

mentalist Active Member

Sep 28, 2016
    wigan
    Couple of hours of a job. Did mine recently. Sounds loads better. Not too noisy. I have the Vance and Hines EU silencers.
    I did post somewhere the video from YouTube. Also a pdf file from free spirits on fitting their x pipe.

3. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Cheers Mentalist,
    Did you fit the expensive one with a balance pipe, ? Or just the two bends ? Did you get it re- mapped ?

4. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Interested in this as well. May do that on mine :)
    Thinking I'll keep the originals or maybe get the shorter Triumph ones.

5. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    When I saw the thread title it reminded me of a friend who had a cat run into his front wheel. It took him 20 minutes with a stick to "remove the cat" from his front disk break.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. mentalist

mentalist Active Member

Sep 28, 2016
    wigan
    Didn't change the downpipes all I did was remove the cat and replaced it with a de cat pipe from free spirits

7. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    #7 TEZ 217, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  8. Tony Smith

Tony Smith New Member

May 22, 2017
    Scotland
    Hi,,

I removed the cat from my Storm, not a big job in itself if you're handy with spanners.
    I was lucky, whilst looking for a link pipe on ebay I came across a pipe and stainless silencers made by Staintune in Oz. I fitted the link and pipes, and removed the O2 sensors having fitted the bypass x-pipe for them.
    Straight away I noticed a loss of torque, the sound it makes is great, not a lot louder than the short Tors with the cat fitted on idle but when you open it up it sounds brill.
    Anyway, to tackle the loss of torque I took it to our local dyno guy who said it was running way too lean, not sure if this is a result of taking the cat off or do Triumph run them lean anyway. The air:fuel ratio was up over 15:1 where it should be 13:1.
    To correct this he fitted a power commander and set it up on the dyno, took about 2 hours all in. He reckons to do the same job using tunecu would take him days. The difference is like night and day.
    The optimal way to go would be to fit the power commander and auto-tune kit, that requires welding new bosses into the headers to take their O2 sensors, Different sized thread to standard, with this it will always run to maximum performance.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. cruiser

cruiser New Member

May 30, 2017
    ottawa
    I removed my cat on a 2011 storm it took less than 30 min, I also upgraded my air filter to a K&N. did not have it remapped. I did take to local performance shop but it was running well so no adjustments needed. have not noticed any decrease in power or fuel mileage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    What did you use in the cats place

11. Gaz477

Gaz477 Member

Jun 29, 2016
    scotland
    Hi Tez
    Have you got round to dand fitting the straight through pip

12. Gaz477

Gaz477 Member

Jun 29, 2016
    scotland
  13. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Sorry No I have not done it yet

14. Gaz477

Gaz477 Member

Jun 29, 2016
    scotland
    Hi Tez, Have you decatted yet? If so how does the bike sound with the straight through tubes

15. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Sorry Gaz, I still haven't done it yet so cant answer how it sounds,
    going to keep the bike for a while yet before I remove them but got the bends in ready

16. Gaz477

Gaz477 Member

Jun 29, 2016
    scotland
    Cheers Text, I think I will go for this option as well,will buy them in the next day or so.Will let you know the result when I get the job done.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. CapnMeaty

CapnMeaty New Member

May 2, 2016
    Aberdeen
    I did it a while ago,

Bought the crossover with the 'short' TOR's sounds amazing accelerating and lots of satisfying pops and bangs decelerating. cruising at a constant speed there is not much change in the note (which is a good thing). Fuel consumption I don't tend to get more than 100 miles in town and around 150 in the country. (lots and lots of smiles though)

As for re-map I did the re-set where you let it idle until the fan kicks in. My local dealer told me it wouldn't work however fully admitted they couldn't do anything better for fuel, performance etc with their re-maps.

Of note: crossover cat by-pass with long tors sounds very disappointing so wouldn't really bother, however a mate of mine has a 1600 and used the straight through angles with long tor's also sounds good. also did the same re-set mentioned above.

Hope it helps

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. steve59

steve59 Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Are you guys noticing any hp gains from the decat and filter upgrade? The bike's got all the torque it can use but there's always room for a few more pony's

19. Gaz477

Gaz477 Member

Jun 29, 2016
    scotland
    Hi Steve
    So far I have short tors and filter upgrade, I reckon this has added a few nags to the hp. Waiting for straight through pipes before cat removal, will post when job done

20. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Funny when I saw the thread title I thought I was being chucked out :sweat:;):)

• Funny Funny x 2