Featured Cat Removal From Thunderbird Storm Part2

Discussion in 'Thunderbird' started by TEZ 217, Apr 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    PART TWO, OF CAT REMOVAL FROM 1700 THUNDERBIRD STORM
    OK so two elbows arrived today
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202755388839 (22.92) It apears that these now have a raised edge each end so item can be used on silicone hoses too, this raised section needs cutting off one end the other end needs shortened by 75/80 mm. (which has changed slightly from info I used some years ago because of the pipe changes)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    So both painted in UHT paint and hanging in my scenic painting booth:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    The pipes need fitting long side(with just the raised area at end removed) to the header's and 75/80mm shortened end to exhaust section, place pipe in exhaust first and offer up placing other end to headers place rear bolt in exhaust to hold in place, refit clamps,
    [​IMG]
    Once happy refit exhaust covers quick wipe and continue on to other side.
    [​IMG]
    Taken down from lift started without any throttle and left to run for 12mins plus, Sound is much much better deeper, any other ride performance differences will have to wait for now.
    So no platt cat removal pipe or X pipe just two elbows costing 22.90 a good cheap Geordie fix that works well. :D:D:D:D
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    On another note I've added a Dart screen which I feel improves the look and who knows may help with some wind flow.:D:D
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 12
  2. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    That's a mean-looking machine, TEZ. What a beast. :skull:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Excellent work mate and done the Geordie way (cheaply):)
    Of course you now know we’re all waiting with baited breath for PART THREE :eek:

A TRILOGY NEEDS THREE PARTS :joy::p

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Realise that its just I decided to carry on and get it done in two, unlike you I didnt stop every 15 mins and wasnt frightened of the missus being cold with the back door open. :cool::cool::D

PS decided just for you PART THREE will be later :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    PART THREE
    (just to keep @dilligaf quiet if that's possible )

DSC_0818.jpg
    CHEER'S DILLI GOD BLESS YA :heart:
    THE END :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Cheers marra :yum:kissing_heart::p ACEEB826-3A60-41C8-ACE2-1195C5577755.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Bugger, thought it was going to be a video of before and after so we can hear the difference : unamused:: unamused:
    Cheers anyway ;);)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    ARRHHH never had much luck with trying to show the true sound on video, but will try :) but just the afterwards part dont have the before part but your not likely to need that are you :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Like Like x 4
  10. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    #10 TEZ 217, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    As said never had much luck with the true sound on a phone but hear goes nowt - :worried::worried:

PS sorry so short, but noticed plod turn into the path leading to the riverside where I was, so helmet on swiftly and carried on about my essential travel homewards,:D:D

PS- @Helmut Visor & @dilligaf I found a video of the bike sent while buying from the dealer, this may give you a before sound with cat intact, :D

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    That engine is superb and sounds awesome @TEZ 217. I loved my 1700 t'bird lt, just a shame that the clutch was so heavy and I had to let it go. :(

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Very nice :cool:
    Sounds like it’s only firing on two cylinders though :joy::joy::joy::p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    TWAT :cool:
    Your fecker just aint firing at all :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    Sounds well it’s a lot better than standard,how’s it like to ride is the power the same?.

15. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    To be honest shaun I agree sound is way better:D
    Powerwise to be honest Shaun the way things are haven't really had the chance to find out :( done the same to my 1600 sounded amazing and had popping back which I dont mind :) noticed on this no popping back, great sound I think but early days have not really give it a full wind on as yet.:D

• Like Like x 2
  16. UpNDown

UpNDown New Member

Jun 26, 2020
    New Jersey , USA
    Hi Tez ,
    Just found your postings while trolling Triumph info at 2 in the morning . I bought a ‘16 LT last October , new . It was sitting in a Philly dealership . I guess it wasn’t the type of Triumph people were looking for . Anyhow , I’m interested in doing the Decat trick . So I’ll check underneath to see if the exhaust plumbing is similar .
    What really interests me is what looks to be a trailer hitch at the rear of your bike , like what I had on a Valkyrie .
    Home built ? Looks good .
    Glad to join the group .

• Like Like x 2
  17. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Hi @UpNDown , Good to hear from ya and welcome in to to forum,
    I believe as posted earlier that the LT layout is completely different to the 1600 Tbird or the storm, The cats are apparently located into each of the lower header pipes and not so easy to deal with.
    [​IMG]
    We had this question some weeks ago when a member asked if it was possible to cut open each cat and gut them, Not one I could answer and I dont think it received one unfortunately.
    But its still worth taking a look under your bike and checking the layout you have.
    https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/decat-of-lt-commander.24681/

As for the tow bar yep home design, then I visited local engineering shop and we sorted it together, very simple really actually had it done for my 1600 and was able to move it over to the 1700. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  18. UpNDown

UpNDown New Member

Jun 26, 2020
    New Jersey , USA

• Like Like x 1
  19. UpNDown

UpNDown New Member

Jun 26, 2020
    New Jersey , USA
    Tez ,
    On the decat subject , digging a little deeper just raises more questions for the LT . The O2 sensors are in close proximity to the cats , ( would they sense a change when butterfly is shut ? ). Servo buddy not available for LT , only 675’s , what is electronic configuration? Current draw /time? Some thought needed .
    On the bright side, the ‘ 39 Ford taillights are on order . I’m going to pop the saddlebags off to scope out welding tabs to the bracketry for mounting a receiver at the tail for a hitch .
    More fun for a hotrodder .

• Like Like x 2