Cat c

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Mick b, Oct 29, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Mick b

Mick b New Member

Oct 27, 2013
    Hi
    Just been to look at a 2001
    Speed triple no issues with it
    At all looks rides spot on
    Came home did a check on it
    Found it to be a cat c write off !!
    I've offered £2000 for it before I
    found this out what do you all
    think ? I don't understand the issues
    With a cat c bike please help !!!
    Cheers
    Mick

2. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    #2 P19DJG, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    Category C - Repairable. Possibly structural damage. Cost of damage (at main dealer prices and labour rates) is more than book value of bike.

Once the bike was repaired it would of had to have an M.O.T again to prove its roadworthy. Also bear in mind that the bike will be recorded as Cat C for life & if you ever have an accident or the bike gets stolen it is valued by the insurance company as 75% of current book price. So, bear that in mind when purchasing a Cat C. Whatever the book price is for the bike, take 25% off & make your offer. Explain to the seller why your offer is so low as he might not even be aware that his bike is a Cat C.

Personally i would ask for the history of the Cat C from current owner if known as it could of been minor damage being an uneconomical repair as opposed to frame damage. If your not happy with how it rides/feels... walk away!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Aceman

Aceman New Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Category C write off eh? Well if you happen to have a spare frame, swingarm, and possibly wheels, and you intend to replace all the bearing for those, then fine. But as P19DJG says, it'll only have a book/insurance value that is a fraction of what you'd expect.

Seriously buddy, leave alone, unless you can positively be advised of ALL the damage, then you could make an informed decision to possibly use it as a track bike.

4. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    If the owner is trying to pass off a cat C as previously undamaged then simply walk away. If someone is upfront and can explain what the original damage was, what was done to put it right together with invoices, paperwork and photos then it may well be OK.
    Either way a bike on the insurance register will be worth considerably less.