Cars, eggs, grandmothers

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by folkbloke, Sep 8, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. folkbloke

folkbloke Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Not bike related and probably you already do it but ......

If you get a new (or used!) car make sure you know where the security socket is. Don't do as I did and find yourself on Spanish mountain road with a puncture only to reliase that you had no idea where the security socket was. I've only had the car for a month and with only 6000 miles on the clock it has never needed new tyres and it never ocurred to me to check if I had or even needed one.

Called the dealer. "It'll be in the glove compartment" they said. No it fecking wasn't! And neither was it anywhere else in the car.

I had a can of that puncture repair spray which got us back to the B&B and they're sorting out a garage to get a new tyre. Not impressed with the recovery company so far.

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Well I wasn't at all sure where we were going with this thread title ??? I assume you mean the locking wheelnut key?

3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    I think the title would have been worse if he'd included "suck" and missed out eggs!

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Oh well there's a lesson learnt. Not trying to be smug but I always check at the same time as I check there is a jack etc. it must be OCD but I check the locking nut fits too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    The penny's just dropped about the title - Doh!

"I accept this award for 'Forum Thickie of the Day' with great thanks to my Mother and Father for providing the genetic material............................................................"

6. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Ha! Eggssellant Dave :)

They call it the security socket at the place I normally use.

Unusually for me I had in fact checked the jack and all the tools when I got the car and even checked the manual to see where everything was. Unfortunately didn't think to check for that socket thingy and it never mentioned it in the manual.

• Like Like x 1
  7. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    It was a used car and I don't think they checked it properly as I bought it soon after they got it. If they had they would have known it wasn't there. Luckily the jack and other tools were. They have ordered me another one but it's a bit late now. Still, the garage I took it to sorted it out. Nearly £100 for a tyre though....

It was a nail and a slow puncture but I was lucky I stopped to take some photos (that I will post later) as I hadn't noticed it while driving but ithe tyre was fecked by that time. Then again a Berlingo is not the greatesthandling car at the best of times!

8. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    The Spanish replace like for like so no cheap options but, as you say, better than a
    blow out (especially on that road)

9. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    And the moral of this story is .... Never lose your nut when you get a puncture .

10. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    You ain't won it yet dude , cos that has gone straight over my head :( , on the upside I do know where my lock nut is for the wheelnuts :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Oh well Steve I's 'll jus ha to keep on troying then ................................

For interested spectators - I have NO idea where that came, I'm in distress. Please forgive me.

12. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    if there's any awards going I'm in distress too, got to ride 350 miles South this Friday ;)

13. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Riding 350 miles should be enjoyed lol

14. folkbloke

Jul 20, 2013
    Sussex
    Hang on chaps, surely not checking for the socket in the first place puts me in pole position for chief twat?

• Like Like x 1
  15. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You do have a good point there Dick..............................................................;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    whats that, a good socket point

• Like Like x 1
  17. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    You've got yer passport and had all yer injections? - anti-poof; anti-bullshit; anti-gobshite

18. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Look at this! Bonny just gone and hes turned into a right yob. The class faded as the burbling sound of his twin exhausts did! And I don't think you can have the thicko award as the KTM purchase sounds like a good idea!

• Like Like x 1
  19. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    There's just no pleasing some people.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Yep, we did run itself last year, this year tootling down before arriving Sunday in Brighton to see the bikes, bands, stalls etc etc etc and family. Not replaced Bonnie yet although 1958 BSA Shooting Star, 1976 Trumpet T140, and 1958 Trumpet 3TA came close. I'll be in cruise mode on my 2002 Heritage Classic, but promise I'll hide it in a back street...