Carole Nash and my Write Off

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Samuel F, Jun 13, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Samuel F

Samuel F Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Hello guys, as some of you may know, a total idiot wrecked my beloved Bonneville.

Mirrors, light, meter, gear shift peg, clutch, left signal, front fender paint, exhaust, handle, possibly fork and front wheel are to be changed.

I am at Carole Nash.

Now, even with a purchased value of £7000, I am sincerely afraid they are going to write it off.
    Then, what happens ?

2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Is this from the same incident as the twisted bars? Or a new accident???

• Like Like x 1
  3. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    I got involved in a much more serious accident. Some nurse almost ran me over and ruined the bike. Betty is in a pretty bad shape for a new bike.:( the whole left side is damaged. I am now battling with Carole Nash to get quick results. It's not working. :mad:

And it's my first rodeo ever, so I have no idea what's going to happen next.

4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Assuming your insurer Carole Nash decide to write off your bike, they will first make you an offer. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ACCEPT THIS OFFER.

You need to gather information in preparation for this negotiation such as all your purchase documents (recent purchase if I remember correctly?) for the bike. Purchases of clothing and protective gear such as helmet that were damaged in the accident should all be justified with receipts. Any loss of earnings generated by this accident need to be claimed.

It's important to understand that the insurance company will want to pay out as little as they can get away with, so be prepared to find for every penny.

Carole Nash will instruct a loss assessor to visit the bike to evaluate it's condition and pre-accident value. They will then send a formal offer. Unless they are feeling surprisingly generous, you should reject this 1st offer and send them a counter off with photocopies of all justicatifs, receipts etc.

You will also want to establish what will happen about the insurance contract itself (once the claim has been paid out) as it is only recently started and was very expensive.

IN UK there are many firms of lawyers who will fight for compensation in a case like yours - might be worth speaking to them, before saying anything more to Carole Nash.

• Like Like x 1
  5. wurzel

wurzel Member

May 18, 2016
    Scatterbrook farm
    I had a fireblade with less damage and worth about £6500 and Carole Nash wrote it off. The bloke who picked it up for them said if they don't have enough room in workshop it's gone

6. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    thank you for your very precise answer the big lad.

so they will not manage the "get a new bike" thing ? it's up to me to find a new one ?!!
    i have to go through all that again ???

as it is a non responsible accident, should the other person's insurance cover everything i will have to pay, including new insurance policy ?

7. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    1. It would unusual for a UK bike insurer to be involved in finding your next bike. Normally it's a financial transaction to compensate your loss;

2. As the accident has been accepted (??) as being not your fault, your insurer will be claiming off the 3rd party insurers. This includes all losses you suffer as a result of this accident. Just remember it's a negotiation.

8. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    Your insurance company will pay you and claim off the nurses insurance company. Your company will be keen to settle quickly to minimise admin costs.

Your current insurance will run until the end of the policy. Expect a hike in the cost of next years insurance (even though it's not your fault) . If you don't have your no claims protected it will reduce. (even though it's not your fault).

As Dave says. It's a negotiation so just keep saying no until you are happy with the offer.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    thanks for the precisions rooster... man.. this is not easy...

10. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Sam, if you need any direct support, you've got my e-mail address.

11. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Hehehe thank you very much Dave. Appreciate it a lot.

My only concern is to get back to the road asap, and not to get scammed and have to pay hundreds of pounds where I did nothing wrong.

12. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Don't do things in a hurry here, take the advice of the above, consider all things carefully, look at replacement costs of anything damaged and possible labour costs and don't rush into anything.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Thank you for your advice crispey, though I am usually the rush into it kinda guy, I will not make that mistake with this.
    I'm taking it slow and steady, or I would not be on this topic right now. ;)

The bike is still on my driveway for now, as they have not sent someone to expertise it or take it to an "approved garage" but anyhow... Do you suggest calling the local garage and have them give me a rough estimate of the fixing costs ?

I can't move it myself, and Carole Nash's sub contractor is suppose to call me today to arrange a pick up for an approved garage.

Sorry to be a total noob at all this. :oops:
    I'd just like to get the best out of this... And I thought non responsible meant easy process :D

14. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    Good idea, can't hurr to give them a call.

15. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    As previously said, take it easy listen to any offers, make sure you make C.nash aware your claiming for your helmet and damage to clothing and also lost insurance premium(unless it carries on to new bike) Sam this is when you find out how good your insurance is !! as said dont except first offer unless your happy with it. and before you except anything be fully aware of whats on offer regards all your other expences and losses

• Like Like x 1
  16. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Meant to ask Sam - the world we live in now categorises everything so when you take out insurance these days everything is paid for separately - as in helmet and clothing premium , legal premium so on and so on
    Did you pay extra for any of this ? because insurance premium of 1600 quid is a lot of money.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Samuel F

Mar 24, 2015
    Glasgow
    It's part of it. It's because i'm brand new rider, licence since 2016 on a 2014 bike.

18. Sceptic Al

Sceptic Al Well-Known Member

Hells teeth Sam, you sure are one unlucky puppy, too ouches in quick time. Best of luck with the insurance claim, and next time get a bike with training wheels

19. TEZ 217

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Well that's a good thing Sam !! If you have separate insurance to cover clothing and helmet etc it will help
    you recover more of your losses

20. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Sam, was the bike recovered with costs ? You should charge the cheaky arses for storage as I always do. I used to do crash cars for a living and years ago it was £12 per day storage you could claim!!