Careful Triumph.... Your Prices Are Going Up

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Thruccyboy, Aug 22, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Went to my local Triumph dealer today, can`t say iv`e taken much of an interest in Triumph prices of late as it is unlikely at the moment I will be buying new for a while. But whilst I was waiting to be served I had a look at some of the new Explorers.....Bloody hell:eek::eek::eek::eek:...Some are over 15 grand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If they don`t keep an eye on their prices I think some people will be considering jumping ship?
    What say you lot out there eh?????
    Tboy

2. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    #2 MickEng, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    There seems to be a growing demand for motor cycles generally and I must admit Triumph seem to have all areas covered apart from the smaller engine market.
    Price wise though with £15k you can buy a pretty tidy low mileage quality car, but if you already have one or two cars in the family and you are pining for a bike, £4k - £15k should satisfy your requirements.

3. Rooster

Rooster Grumpy Member
    Subscriber

Sep 14, 2015
    Droitwich, Worcestershire
    Just ordered an Explorer XRT, Got 1k off the list of 15,500.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    I think you may
    I think you may have hit the nail on the head...I guess it was like when hire purchase came in all those years ago. Better stuff to the masses. But do you think motorcycle manufacturers have cottoned onto this or are they truly trying to give motorcyclist a better bike which costs more to make?

5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Two observations.....

Exchange rates: we tend to be guilty of not thinking beyond the price of holidays but money is a commodity just like copper or oil. The money markets buy and sell for various reasons that usually have more to do with short term trading advantage rather than fundamental strengths. Every currency dealer thinks he wil be first to the exit when the tide turns. For Triumph it is roundabouts and swings. In some markets they win a little competitive advantage and others they lose a little. Fluctuations are built into their global pricing. The Euro is artificially supported at the moment through quantitative easing but it hits their exporters. The reverse is true for us and the pound is undervalued making Jags relatively cheaper than BMW/Audis/Mercs. The bigger UK issue is the £ $ rate because that is how oil is priced.

PCPs: These are calculated on the cost of credit plus the assessed vehicle depreciation over the life of the contract. A collapse in second hand values will make them more expensive in future. That collapse in car prices may just be starting with diesels. I suspect those of us who live less hand to mouth will continue to find superior value in the low mileage used market. A 765rs at £9,900 on PCP with £2,000 down and £120 per month will have cost you £6,500 when you hand it back with nothing to show for it......and another down payment to find.

I yearn for a new Speed/Street Triple/Thruxton R/T120 until I ride out on my old Bonnie and suddenly everything comes back into perspective. Are they worth all the extra and what would I have to give up to fund them? And yet.........

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    At the end of the day all manufacturers will push limits when it comes to pricing; they are in business to make money. If you want a new bike, you pay your money and take your chances. If your happy with your current ride, then that is also ok.
    It is down to personal choices, which at the end of the day is what makes the world go around.
    Wessa

7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I agree but you sense Triumph are steadily creeping towards a more premium price and product. It makes sense to not compete directly with the Japanese nor play the Ducati racing card. I think their mixed strategy is quite clever and the entry to Moto2 is a huge opportunity. All they need is a police bike!

8. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    I read this article the other day and thought I'd share it. It would seem that they are busy working on new and more affordable mid class machines for the near future. It would be interesting to see the pricing when they do roll out eventually... http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2017/august/new-entry-level-triumph-motorcycles/

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
  10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
  11. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    I've never had a desire to buy a new car or motorbike, and not sure I can see why anyone does. You set fire to a big bundle of beer/holiday/days out money just driving/riding it out of the showroom.

I had a few new cars in the good old company car days, and after a week, it was a bit so-what.

My Tiger 800 was two years old, looked brand new, and had 320 miles on the clock for the price of a 2-year old (almost 4k less than new). My new-to-me car, with only 7k on the clock, mint and top spec for £10k less trade-in. Why pay £19k for a new one?

Yours, Scrooge.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Don't buy new:p

13. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I think a lot of the Triumph riders have already jumped. The bike are no longer British and you can buy a cheap Korean bike for pennies or Enfield's Triumph got it the wrong way round. And apparently they are not keen on the supply of spares when they drop a model. just a humble opinion and rumors I've heard.
    Ride safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    Having said what I said above, I am very pleased and grateful to all those who do buy new, otherwise we wouldn't have any bike industry or used bikes for us stingy folks to purchase. So it's all good.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Must be a big bag of pennies!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yeah
    It shows how much I know its Thailand not Korea. I do ramble some times. I still buy Triumph as it is ours. But I do yearn for another Harley
    Stay safe out there
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    How many of those toys (engine modes, TC etc.etc.) do we really need. Will a market for de-toyed (and thus cheaper) but still quality bikes emerge when we all get tired of the toys? That's always assuming they haven't got EU regulated in by then.
    Wait a minute,.... we'll be out by then! :)

18. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Agreed, until the second hand market is saturated and prices slump I guess PCP will perpetuate the high prices (and tech spec). It's only us wrinkly's that are used to actually owning our homes/cars/bikes so not a big enough market share.....yet. Also a generational thing (generally) to expect to be able to do your own servicing/maintenance. Hence my aversion to bikes that must be plugged into a dealer computer, it's all a ploy to grease the palms of the franchise dealers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1