Featured Cardiff Congestion Charge.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by beerkat, Jan 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Just been informed in the latest MAG newsletter that Cardiff council are about to introduce a congestion charge...and amazingly they've seen sense and bikes are exempt :grinning:!!
    Although it's bleedin' obvious to us that cutting car numbers, while encouraging two-wheelers, is going to dramatically reduce congestion (as well as pollution), there are some councils that are too thick to work it out. They take years to produce 'studies', analyse figures and have endless discussions to come to the same common sense conclusion. A criminal waste of money. There is no national policy, every council goes through the same laborious process. Madness.
    I hope Cardiff bikers appreciate that they have MAG to thank, as much as anyone, for pushing their case. Exemption from congestion charges is just one of the many things they campaign about for our benefit, but that on it's own is enough to justify the membership fee (a paltry £25). Congestion charges will be coming to a town near you sooner or later.

• Like Like x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    You wait, although I approve of congestion etc measures I don’t approve of money-making schemes, they’ll introduce a ULEZ soon and nothing older than a certain year will be exempt, not even emergency vehicles

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    At the moment Cardiff have no plans to introduce a ULEZ scheme. It may happen in the future, who knows, but with our exit from the EU :( vehicle emissions ratings may change anyway. If the expected improvements materialise then they may not need to go down that route.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    I don't think so not if they can make loads of money from it

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Spot on !

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    they should double the charge for any jacks wanting to visit Wales's best city

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

It’s alright nobody wants to go there :p

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Several typically cynical comments here. I'm only interested in bikes and the point is that at least one council (and I think London is now the same) has recognised the benefits of two wheels over four. Which makes the case stronger for bike exemption in other towns.
    This is a GOOD THING.
    The ULEZ scheme is different and may or may not affect your bike, and it isn't simply all down to age. Some older bikes have been shown to be below the limit.
    In response to Bikerman...some people complain about biking issues but aren't prepared to do anything about it, they just grumble and moan. In my opinion if they can't be arsed to write a letter (that will take all of 10 minutes of your life), then at least join MAG, who will do it on your behalf. And before people do the obvious and say 'it doesn't make any difference', well yes it bloody well does. Cardiff would never have exempted bikes if people hadn't got their finger out and made a fuss. So there :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Several typically cynical comments here. I'm only interested in bikes and the point is that at least one council (and I think London is now the same) has recognised the benefits of two wheels over four. Which makes the case stronger for bike exemption in other towns.
    This is a GOOD THING.
    The ULEZ scheme is different and may or may not affect your bike, and it isn't simply all down to age. Some older bikes have been shown to be below the limit.
    In response to Bikerman...some people complain about biking issues but aren't prepared to do anything about it, they just grumble and moan. In my opinion if they can't be arsed to write a letter (that will take all of 10 minutes of your life), then at least join MAG, who will do it on your behalf. And before people do the obvious and say 'it doesn't make any difference', well yes it bloody well does. Cardiff would never have exempted bikes if people hadn't got their finger out and made a fuss. So there :p

• Like Like x 1
  10. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    I was a MAG member in the late 1970's & 1980's, went to rallies all over the country and was friends with a few if the cardiff reps back then, but been a lapsed member for too long

FB_IMG_1579285989907.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  11. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    You know what to do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yeah mate, bikes and petrol cars are included guide line is euro 3 compliant so generally anything pre 2007 though some will comply but you have to get a letter from the manufacturer to prove it! Not sure what they’ll do for the london DGR or london brighton rally

• Cheers Cheers x 1