Carbon tank pad

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Gimlet, Feb 22, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gimlet

Gimlet Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Anyone know where I can get a carbon tank pad for a 2013/14 S111? I've seen the one floating around for a 2005 Speed and a massive thing for a Sprint which covers half the tank but I can't find anything for the current Speed. The plain rubberised Triumph pad would do but it looks like an afterthought. A nice discreet patch of carbon would look just right. A gap in the market for Conquest Carbon?? Can't stand those hideous things with the cartoon graphics on e-bay.

2. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Let me know if you find one.
    Been looking for a decent one for a while.
    The one for the 08/10 was great,surprised they didn't do one for the 11.

3. Conquest Racing Ltd

Conquest Racing Ltd Contact us for your Triumph Forum discount
    Trader

Feb 2, 2013
    Dorset
    Hi, we tend to steer clear of carbon tank pads because they rub against the tank and scratch the paint.

4. JACKO

JACKO Member

Sep 25, 2013
    I got a oxford products tank pad in carbon look gel type, stays put and protects the tank. Might get some stomp grips for the sides. Do notice the black gloss paint of the tank marks easy. I know triumph do a paint protection film but I bet it a right ball ache to fit neatly.

Know what you mean about those cartoon type pads they are shocking! Lol

5. Conquest Racing Ltd

Trader

Feb 2, 2013
    Dorset
    The venture shild paint protection is really easy to fit so long as you know how to do it properly. I have fitted it to loads of bikes so if you need any advise or help call me on 01258 450 589

Steve CC

6. JACKO

JACKO Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Thanks Steve

7. Gimlet

Gimlet Member

Feb 11, 2014
    #7 Gimlet, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    How much to do the whole thing for me? My S111 is easy-chip crystal white but its mint so now's the time to do it before I start sticking tank pads to it, and I'm only 5 miles up the road from you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Conquest Racing Ltd

Trader

Feb 2, 2013
    Dorset
    If you buy the protection from triumph or venture shield then I'll happily do it for a case of badger beer ;) needs to be on a sunny day as it will need time to dry and natural sunlight is the best.

9. Gimlet

Gimlet Member

Feb 11, 2014
    I think you could have a deal there!
    Daft questions first though: how does this stuff age? Does it yellow or peal? And what happens if you scratch it; does it end up looking like blistered cellophane? If its genuinely scratch proof do I need the tank pad?

10. Conquest Racing Ltd

Trader

Feb 2, 2013
    Dorset
    It's as tough as nails. It was developed for the military (like most inventions) for the helicopter blades in desert. It prevented them from slowly being ground away. It doesn't discolour and is UV treated, you must buy the proper 3M product and nothing cheap.

With me fitting it you wouldn't know it was there. And no you won't need a tank protector

11. Gimlet

Gimlet Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Cheers CC, just what I wanted to know. The job's yours. I'll ring/PM you when the weather improves and when/if we eventually get some sunshine. I'm up the Winterborne valley and there's still a lot of standing water on the roads out our way, huge potholes, loads of stones and grit washed out from the floods and the farmers are mucking out the cattle sheds so between the water everything's filthy. I'll buy the Venture Shield and perhaps we can fix a date when conditions improve.
    Thanks again,
    Jim

• Like Like x 1
  12. Conquest Racing Ltd

Trader

Feb 2, 2013
    Dorset
    Yeah sure, it needs to be a good day otherwise it will take longer for the shield to adhere and will losen off as you ride it home. PM or call when it's looking better.