Featured Capt Tom Moore Is Getting His Knighthood

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Dozers Dad, May 19, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    God no! What a horrible thought!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. John Scotcher

John Scotcher Active Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Stoke on Trent,UK
    Captain Tom has done really well but, much as I dislike Piers Morgan, he has showed up the governments poor handling of the Covid-19 crisis. He has been so successful on that issue that the Tories have, not only told their MPs and ministers to avoid being interviewed by Piers Morgan, but that they should now seek permission from Tory party advisers before they do any TV or Radio interviews. I think Piers Morgan will treat that as being a success.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

20200520_131943.jpg

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  4. Duckadiledundee

Duckadiledundee Peasant First Class
    Subscriber

Jun 24, 2019
    High Peak
    I tend to address most elderly gents as sir and they don't need a knighthood...

And no that don't mean I will be addressing you lot as sir at the GMU :p

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    That's ok Duck a simple bow of the head when you pass me will do. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

Well guys, I'm saddened that posting a link to a 100yr old veteran who raised millions of £'s for the NHS.
    And was given a knighthood as a result.

Has been turned into a platform for a few to gob off about their political views.
    I guess it could be lockdown/cabin fever? If not, it's more than a little sad guys! :rolleyes:
    This thread was just intended to be a bit of good news. Not an inquisition into the merits or otherwise of his award.

The old fella only set out to raise £1000.
    A realistic amount for walking around a garden a few times. It only ended up being millions due to the media attention he received.
    He didn't ask for that attention or the knighthood. In fact, it possibly piled on the pressure more than he'd have liked?
    So why not cut him some slack & be happy for him.
    It's not like he'll be looking down on any of us is it :)

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  7. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    I do hope this wont be classed as political at all, I think this old gents award was a lot more deserving of some that's been dished out in the past,
    Well deserved in my opinion and he did a lot more than walk his garden !!! he raised folks spirits and stood to show the world regardless of your age you can still do your bit for humanity and goodwill, and in doing so raise millions for the NHS
    WELL DONE THAT MAN :heart:

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Duckadiledundee

Duckadiledundee Peasant First Class
    Subscriber

Jun 24, 2019
    High Peak

I ain't knocking the old fella...

When does any thread stay on track on this forum DD...:p:joy::joy::joy:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Senior Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    At last somebody who actually deserves one,they dish them out like confetti,if you can ride a push bike or you are an old rock star you are guaranteed to be called a sir,people like john surtees never got a look in.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MrOrange

MrOrange There is no good cop!
    Staff Member Subscriber

Oct 28, 2015
    the Heart of Darkness
    The whole system is corrupt. Give them away for all the wrong reasons. He's a grand old chap and I applaud his efforts.
    But I disagree with the whole honours system and I also disagree with making the NHS a charity cause. I am yet to see a nurse or doctor who thinks the last few governments have done anything but screw them over. Cheering when the voted down a nurse pay rise in line with inflation, absolutely feckin disgrace.
    But some old boy raises money for them and he gets a knighthood. Every bloody nurse and doctor working this crisis deserves one then. They are the one's risking their and their families lives. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    kidderminster Worcestershire
    He seems a real nice old chap who's obviously intelligent and humble with it, who you'd certainly be proud to call a friend, but IMO what he's done isn't really worth a knighthood, though niether are most of them that are given out to senior civil servants and the luvey "celebs" who seem to have a nice life "supporting" charities. The big winners in this are of course Justtheiving who have become 300k richer as a result. I bet their top team get a nice Brucie Bonus out of that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wessa

Wessa Cruising
    Subscriber

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    #32 Wessa, May 20, 2020
    Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Yep imo captain Tom is a very interesting veteran who has won the nations heart through his fund raising efforts. However had it not been for the media attention his efforts would have been modest like many others. There are thousands of people young and old that have raised money for good causes and have not had the coverage that he got. Are their efforts any less deserving.. I fear that once the ball was rolling on his story it was inevitable that politics would move in and reap the reward... Good luck to him, but I’m not convinced that a knighthood is the correct recognition for what he actually has done..

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Put on your big boy pants and man up
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    https://fullfact.org/online/justgiving-commission-captain-tom/

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. John Scotcher

Oct 25, 2018
    Stoke on Trent,UK
    This is a bit hypocritical as, in one of your previous posts on this subject, you used a photo of Captain Tom to have a go at Scottish people with a bit of swearing thrown in as well. You can't have it both ways!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  15. Privateer

Privateer Stand up member
    Subscriber

Jan 2, 2017
    Derbyshire
    I think you'll find that earlier post was meant to be a bit of light relief, you know, humour. :):)

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. John Scotcher

Oct 25, 2018
    Stoke on Trent,UK
    Well, why did he have a go at people who were cynical about Captain Tom's knighthood? I wonder if Captain Tom would find it funny?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  17. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Crème de la Crème

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    Good luck to the old boy, he just did his bit and then got whisked off in a media frenzy. Deserved? How many honours are really deserved? The great majority are political payoffs or stunts anyway.
    Political point-whilst the Labour govts of Blair in particular used PFI to excess and did the NHS no favours in the long run, the PFI idea was first used by John Major's Tory government. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. dreitopf

dreitopf Member

Feb 27, 2020
    Germany
    Black or white...he has my respect for his walk! To do something good things for the community is honorful.

• Agree Agree x 6
  19. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    And get to 100 :party::sun:

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

My apologies John.
    In your honour, I'll change it to "Humourless drama queens" :cool: