Touring Canary Islands on a motorbike.

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Richard H, Dec 2, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Flying off in the morning to spend a week with these guys http://www.canarymotorcycletours.co...bFhxGTRaK8hA1HUoKDFqUnR4PC6eWH8w-5hoC_crw_wcB

Never been to the Canary Islands before but riding in 22C sunshine appeals after the freezing conditions this week, so fingers crossed for a good week.

Have booked a ferry to take the bikes over one day to Tenerife with the intention of riding up the volcano. Let you guys know how it goes when I get back.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Enjoy, not at all jealous.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i Hired a bike in Tenerife years ago and went as far as i could up Mount Teide.Some nice roads near Peurto De La Cruz Weather should be just fine for riding at this time of year,have fun! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    "Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger Bugger! Bugger"

No, no, it's fine - I'm just sat here freezing my nuts off - you just go on holiday and enjoy yerselves

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. snarly

snarly Active Member

Sep 8, 2013
    Essex
    sounds good - look forward to the post holiday report!

6. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    ditto

7. roadrider

roadrider First Class Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Oxon
    Have a great time,fancied doing this for a couple of years now.
    Full report with pis please.

8. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    FB_IMG_1480886931630.jpg FB_IMG_1480886911179.jpg
    First day here and the wife and I met tour owner Martin and picked up our rides for the week which are all Honda CBF 600s. After the obligatory safety talk we head into the mountains along some amazing twisty and at times challenging roads.
    This island should not just be looked on as a beach destination, the interior is quite lush and green (surprising as there is little rain) Riding temp is about perfect at 22C but got a little chilly at the top of the mountain. You can just see the mountain of Tenerife about 40 miles away by ferry where we are heading on Thursday. Hope its not too chilly for you guys back in blighty.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Nice one have a good week,the temperature here in Scotland today is slightly cooler :(:rolleyes:

10. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    End of day 3 now and I'm amazed how many great roads are on this island. Martin took us down what he calls the mini Stelvio pass; its where KTM took all the journalists on the launch of one of their models last year
    FB_IMG_1481063841362.jpg

FB_IMG_1481063855652.jpg
    FB_IMG_1481063849020.jpg

We went up and down some of the steepest passes I've ever riden....some really challenging stuff and equal to some of the stuff in the Alps. At home it was freezing fog and about 5C here dry roads and 22C.
    My advice is find a cheap flight, give these guys a call http://www.canarymotorcycletours.com
    Its a great taylored service they provide, sorting hotels, airport collection, bike gear, insurance, petrol, well maintained bikes, small groups and most importantly a fully guided tour based on the groups riding ability.
    Just a note of caution, you will need to be an experienced reasonably confident rider as the roads of the interior of the island are very twisty, steep and with huge drops offs down mountains if you get it wrong.

• Like Like x 6
  11. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Wow that looks great !!!!

12. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    FB_IMG_1481241728139.jpg FB_IMG_1481241625145.jpg FB_IMG_1481232624509.jpg
    5th and final riding day with Canary Island Motorcycle Tours. Long 12 hour day which saw us catch the fast ferry to neighbouring Island Tenerife and ride up mount Teide through the lava fields to aprox 2500m.
    Perfect weather about 25C cooling a bit as we got higher. Explored some of the best interior roads and then returned back to Gran Canaria where we said goodby to our trusty Honda CBF600s.
    We are definitely going to return possibility this time next year. This tour exceeded expectations in every way, reasonable prices, well organised, great local restaurant stop offs and most of all fully guided tours of the very best roads......many many more than you would expect.
    Highly recommended

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Sounds like you had a great time :) Here's a bit of Trivia about Tenerife..It's flag is the same as Scotland's..i always thought scenes from The films Star Wars & Planet of the apes were filmed there..they weren't. but 1 million years BC was:)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012

Gave my Olfi (cheap gopro) a go

• Like Like x 3
  15. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk

Nice one Richard, Impressed with the quality. where was it mounted? sound is very good how did you record that?

16. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    I've mounted the camera so it fits on the chin of my Shoei full face using standard go pro mounts and a few short connectors held together with screws rarther than the bulky thunb screws normally used.
    The camera is a newly released Olfi one five and it really is superb, similar to a Gopro in a waterproof housing I'm amazed it picked up me talking to my wife via Bluetooth just through the vent in the chin of the helmet. I wasn't trying to do any commentary
    The Olfi is only £150.00 compared to a new GoPro which is over £300.00

To compare I filmed this on my very old gopro 2

• Like Like x 2
  17. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    To my eyes the quality on the first clip looks just as good as the gopro clip..you can fit one on the front and one on the back now!

18. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    I hired a bike for just a single day whilst in Tenerife earlier this year in September and had a blast. I rode up and down mount Teide 3 times!... and then explored the north west coastline. Absolutely fabulous, wish I had done it for longer. One thing that surprised me was the south side of mount Teide was warm and sunny, but when going over the top and on to the northern side it was cloudy (riding through the clouds at one point, which was amazing) and not so sunny, but still fabulous.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    No riding here at the moment with subzero temps but while I've had a bit of time over Christmas I have trawled through some more footage and put a clip of day 4 together.

Probably one of the best roads I've ever riden.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Looks fantastic:)

• Like Like x 1