Can You Safely Put A Chain In The Tail Pack?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by ContactSC, Sep 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ContactSC

ContactSC Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    I've just got a Triumph official tail pack for my Striple - does anyone have any experience with putting a chain in it? It seems high and, given it attaches with only a zip either side, I'm not sure it's a good idea to put my chain - which is 8.9kg and 2m long - in the tail pack. Would it unbalance the bike? I'm assuming it'll shift around.

Edit: I should add that this is how I previously carried the chain, in an Oxford tail pack on my Tracer.

2. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    I have carried chains that way on previous bikes but wouldn’t want to do it on a tail pack that was high or zipped at the side.
    Have you considered a quality u lock such as the Abus granite extreme series and a disc lock as further backup.
    Both of those would be lighter and less likely to shift about.

3. Sir Trev

Sir Trev Senior Member

May 27, 2017
    Buckinghamshire
    Could you attach some strapping inside the tail pack that would hold the chain down? Perhaps heavy duty velcro to make it easy to use? Securely sewing the ends to the four corners of the bottom of the pack with enough overlap to meet and hold?? May not be pretty but would work well.

I had elastic straps in my larger Givi box which were very helpful in stopping things moving about so much but a heavy chain may need something stronger.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. ContactSC

ContactSC Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2018
    Nottingham, UK
    Thanks, not sure about using a U lock. I already use a disc lock. With the D-lock (u lock) not sure how easy it would be to put it through the bike and an immovable object, which is easy with the chain.