Can- Bus Starter Bypass Bonneville

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tigcraft, Jul 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    A thing that’s pissed me off no end of time and such an easy job to do but as usual I’m always too busy to realise until I jump on the bike and ku.......... ku............... ku................ then ku-brummmm or just bump start the thing!!

So I’ve bypassed it on the starter cycle and it now just starts like every other early Hinckley Bonneville.
    I ran down a few cables and narrowed it to the LH side panel.
    6A04BF2B-F6E4-4878-BD13-E17EC1DBEBCD.jpeg So here’s where I started. Just to let you know that this is a 2013 bike as others may vary. The red circled relay is the pre-starter where power from the starter switch gets sent to.

I pulled the relay off and traced the appropriate wires to where they went.
    794AC0BF-CD2F-4F62-BD80-FE81BD3944B2.jpeg
    The white/red wires are the signal to the can-bus and clutch/neutral cut out system. The one circled green is pre-can-bus whilst the blue circled is post can-bus.

Next I just soldered the wires direct in brown yellow using an off cut that was available just to loop the system
    3B7401D8-2F4E-4A27-803A-6741F378FE9A.jpeg 6AE092DB-3C32-4409-B3EB-E5215D40AF50.jpeg

I then just tucked the wires up into the loom for that ‘standard look’
    B74B88FA-3B22-4B5C-9C0F-DB1630B23758.jpeg

In fact you could just tuck a wire in between on the spade side and wedge it in if you wanted a 1minute job and can’t solder.
    The down side now is no safety cut if it’s in gear but that’s not an issue for me.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. jefflogg

jefflogg New Member

Dec 16, 2020
    nyc
    #2 jefflogg, Dec 16, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    Looking to see if this mod is for me.

I'm having trouble with my 2015 t100 bonneville starting sometimes.

I've read that with my model, the computer will stop the engine from starting if the battery drops below a certain threshold.

I've read that you can bring it to a dealer to have the threshold lowered on the computer.

I found a piece of kit that turns the headlight off before starting up the engine to help with this, but wont function with my LED headlight.

The headlight would be great, but I'd love to go all the way and have the headlight, positioning light, and brake lights and turn signals, and anything else that draws power not do so via a simple switch, or bypass of some kind.

I could easily setup a single switch for the headlight and position light as they are close together- is there a location where I could add a single switch for those and all the rear lights as well?

What exactly does your modification accomplish? Does it bypass the computers threshold setting?

I'm new to all this.

I'd just attempt the mod as it's super easy, but I'd like to know all I can before doing so.

I've written to much

Please help

Thanks

3. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Reminds me of one or two of the import cars I have had and ended up bypassing the clutch switch....hate those nanny safety features.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    It just goes behind closed doors and makes a circuit that the computer can’t mess with. I’ve even started it with a half flat battery as to see how it responded and it was successful. The only thing is if I get some spare time I’ll re-do the side stand safety switch but it’s not important.