Vintage Tiger Cam chain tensioner - part 2 of Tiger re-furb

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by thebiglad, Sep 8, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi all, I was out for a ride yesterday and on the way back I started to get a rattle from the bike in the engine gearbox area, especially when coming to a halt at junctions.

I thought this might be the new front sprocket (that I fitted last week) coming loose so I nursed the bike home and as soon as I parked up I whipped the sprocket cover off - to find the front sprocket as solid as a rock !!!

This makes me wonder if what I'm hearing is more related to the cam-chain and it's tensioner. Tackling this could be quite a big job so I want to ensure that the diagnosis is correct, anyone out there who can give me some useful tips?

For example where is the tensioner located and how do I check if it's in good order?

Sorry but I don't have a means of posting a video of the noise. I plan to go out again this morning to see if it'll do it again ???????????????????????????????????????

2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    • Like Like x 1
  3. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Thanks for that JTD, the Haynes manual only goes up to '05 so I'm not sure if it includes the latest updates in '05 or not. Updates such as to clutch, head and gearbox.

Think I'd better get hold of the latest Triumph workshop manual which does include '06 and go from there.

Right I'm off for another test ride - watch this space.....................................................................................:(:rolleyes::)

• Like Like x 1
  4. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Thanks for that SJ, I need to be sure about my diagnosis so I'm off out to see if I can reproduce the noise.

Thanks again, I'll post what I find out....................

Dave

5. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    OK guys, just got back from my ride and the bike is making NO abnormal noises. I'm pretty sure yesterdays noise - which occurred with engine running and slowing to a halt, sounded like it was coming from the front sprocket area, so I wonder if I inadvertently picked a small stone or something and that got lodged within the front sprocket area. Nothing obvious when I took it off though???

Having seen all the material about CCT's posted by you chaps I'm tempted to replace mine, as being a Jaguar man I'm familiar with how important these slides and tensioners are !!! Looks like a pretty straightforward job to do as well.