Calling Scousers Of Wirral - Help With Uk Number Plate

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MyEvilTwin, Jul 25, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Sugartown Cabaret
    #1 MyEvilTwin, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    Wonder if my UK brethren can help me. Because I love my Thruxton 865 so much and that it looks like a time machine, I had bought some old UK number plates on Ebay to give her some British authenticity.

I use the rear yellow tea tray and had a period correct front plate made from Frampton's, abandoning the tattered white one that came with the set. I was curious about them and started to do research on these plates. I have determined the number set is considered "dateless" and represents the following....

G = Random Serial Number, first introduced in JUN-1958 ---> and used onward
    BG = The Area Identifier indicating Birkenhead on the Wirral peninsula across the River Mersey from Liverpool. This code was used for Birkenhead until 1974 when it was reassigned to Liverpool
    205 = Random numbers 1-999

I have been on an endless search to find out the Date of First Registration (and vehicle) when this number series was issued. As for the plates themselves, I would date the rear aluminum plate with yellow reflective, black vinyl stick-on letters and euro stars around 1998, and the white front plate from 70's. Obvious older plates as they do not meet BS Au 145d standards.

I have struck out at Cheshire Archives, Wirral Archives, and the Liverpool City Council archives online Catalogue.

I sent an email to Kellaway Motorcycles in Bristol to see if they had any records - no response, probably thought I was nuts.
    http://kellawaymotorcycles.co.uk/

Finally, I sent a Subject Access Request through to DVLA-Swansea, and a possible hit but they won't tell me anything as I am in the US.

Could someone here help and make a DVLA request and report back. I don't care about prior owners I would just like to know what vehicle(s) GBG 205 originated on or was registered to at some point. Any help or clues appreciated!

Thank you for your correspondence regarding information from the DVLA records relating to the above vehicle.

Currently, we cannot release data outside of the UK as we are unable to obtain the necessary assurances as to the identity of the requester and that the enquiries are genuine.

I realise you will be disappointed with this reply and regret that I cannot be more helpful on this occasion.

SAR TEAM
    Subject Access Requests

D9 West | DVLA | Swansea | SA99 1BX
    [email protected]

GBG 205.jpg

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    My ‘working suspicion’ is that it originates in Guernsey in the Channel Islands and not recently...... It is an odd number format and Channel Island plates often just have the Island designation (J for Jersey etc.,) plus a GB sticker but an older plate? It could have been a more modern replacement (yellow) for a much older b&w plate.

3. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Not quite, Cal. Those actual number plates don't really identify the registration mark - somebody was probably using it as a means of 'personalising' their plate or just masking the year/age of their vehicle. The original plates would, as you say, have been silver or white characters on a black background.

That registration mark is currently available and on retention :-

https://www.speedyreg.co.uk/number-plates-info/GBG-205

I suspect that, as it's now on retention, it will be difficult to trace its history but it does look like it was originally issued in Birkenhead pre-1963 - see page 10 onwards of the attached PDF.

Attached Files:

• REG.pdf
      File size:
      175.9 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Hi MyEvilTwin
    There is an article in a UK publication called 'Old Bike Mart' written by a chap called Mike Worthington-Williams. He researches old bikes and recovers the original number plates. He apparently has access to old DVLA records and may be able to help you, his email appears to be [email protected] might be worth an email to him.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I entirely take your point - hence my mere suspicion! I well remember Dad’s HH suffix which denoted Carlisle/Cumberland up until 1963? before getting plates getting scrambled a couple more times before the current system.
    I just wondered if the original plate was G205 (GB) and got ‘tidied up’ as GBG205 from GB G205. Birkenhead remains more plausible but they probably wouldn’t thank you for calling them scousers. Too well heeled!

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    As a scouser (by birth, not upbringing) I'd say that you're spot on with your assessment of people from the Wirral being, in general, reluctant to accept the 'scouser' label. In my time living and working back in Liverpool in the 60's and 70's they'd be termed "woollybacks" with that awful guttural scrape on the "ck"! That's assuming we were being pleasant ... well, as pleasant as a bunch of misfit scousers could be! Happy days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. MyEvilTwin

Mar 14, 2020
    Sugartown Cabaret
    Wonderful clue that I will pursue. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  8. MyEvilTwin

Mar 14, 2020
    Sugartown Cabaret
    Thanks Adie, your information confirms my findings as well. Like you, I did see that the series was still actually available for sale for use in UK from privateers holding the retention. I also know in the past I guess it was common practice to just "make your own plate" in he UK if you had the logbook to back it up. Very different than the US, where the State is the only authority to issue a plate according to strict format.