Calling All Sparkies Out There

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by GaleForceEight, Jan 7, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. GaleForceEight

GaleForceEight Noble Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    So I have a new garage, that I want to store some electrical goodies I use every now and then (no, nothing like that!) and as a home for my my old BSA Bantam that only realistically sees use for a couple of months each summer.

My problem is that it doesn't have heating, and only a lighting circuit (so 6 amp max). It is leasehold so no chance of putting in a 30 amp supply since it is part of a block.

I want to run a 3 pin plug spur off the lighting circuit, with a 5 amp fuse so I can run an 800w oil filled radiator to keep the old girl warm through the winter.

The idea is that peak current won't blow the lighting circuit breaker or endanger the wiring. My question is this.... can I cut into the switch circuitry for the lighting in my garage in order to put in a spur?

2. GaleForceEight

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    Absolutely, which is why the spur would be appropriately fused to ensure that should anyone fit an appliance that would endanger the lighting circuit, it would be cut well before it became an issue. I would also tag the socket with a "Lighting Circuit - Do Not Exceed 4 AMPS" dymo strip.

Any advice from a pro (or anyone who actually knows what they are doing) as to the technical (rather than legislative) viability of my suggestion would be welcome.

3. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Why not go the whole hog and run a separate cable with a separate fuse direct from the fuse box or supply point, as if you tap it off the lighting circuit you risk overloading the wiring with the light and heater / extra load on, the danger being that someone WILL ignore any label and plug in something heavy duty !

• Like Like x 1
  4. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    There are several factors you need to take into consideration before attempting this work.
    The cabling is probably 1.5mm T&E(twin & Earth) and is implemented in a 6 Amp ring. This ring should not be spurred for power use, protected by a fuse or not. It is implemented for lighting use only. If it it is a long distance from the main distribution board, then the distance will add loading (by resistance) to the 6amp circuit anyway. Your 5amp requirements could easily be on the maximum for this circuit.
    With respect, I would leave it alone, or get a proper current carrying SWA (Steel Wire Armoured) feed to the outbuilding

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    What happens when someone plugs a device into said marked up socket, requiring a 13Amp supply?

Overload,......hopefully if a MCB or RCD is at the main incomer, then the fuse will trip...... real world, could be a fire.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. GaleForceEight

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    #6 GaleForceEight, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Hence putting in a fused spur so that if anyone did do as suggested the dedicated fuse in the spur rated below the main ring capacity would trip well before the main breaker or wiring itself would be in any danger.

The issue with running in new 2.5mm cabling is that it would require access through the other four garages in the block to put in the cable run.

7. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    You don't put fused spurs in 6 amp lighting rings.... full stop!
    Fused spurs are allowed for 20 &32 amp ring mains or as a single radial!
    You asked for professional advice..... but do as you wish and bear the consequences!:p:p

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. GaleForceEight

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    The reason for asking is because either I fit an existing oil heater that I have, or a small gas heater which I also have.... I wanted to know if my thoughts were safe. If they aren’t, even though they would not exceed the rating of the ring and have their own protection as well, then I’ll go with the gas!

The reason for the electrical being preferred is that I can run it with a thermostat so the temperature would be more stable.

9. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Looking at it from how I see it there is or supposed to be a 1.5 Twin and earth going a very long way to service a number of garages and these things end up with ‘hot spots’ that you personally wouldn’t be able to get access to if it just happened to be in another garage. As time goes on these junction boxes need nipping up as screws and copper cables settle down with the flow of current. Adding to it in the form of a low watt heater can push it over the edge. It might work if you cheated the system with a trickle charger but play safe and use another heating means.

10. GaleForceEight

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    Lounge isn’t an option - it’s full of diving gear and a reloading bench.....

11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #11 Callumity, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    You could fit a spur to a 5amp round pin socket but why bother?

For £100 in parts you can run an armoured cable from the domestic consumer unit to a mini consumer unit in the garage (25m enough?) and have a few 13A double sockets.

You should be able to do 95% of the work yourself even even if you get a sparkie in to make the final connection. Leave the face plates off so he can can check you work.

The wiring regs exist for a reason.....to save people from themselves.....

As to what you plug in a cheapy dehumidifier might be more effective.......but most garages leak so much air neither will do much good unless you bag up what you wish to protect and dry that air.

12. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Exactly, ..... example 10 garages on a 5 amp ring, a 60 watt bulb in each, ohms law gives a consumption of roughly 0.25 amp per bulb, this equates to 2.5 amps for the total garage block. Start doing bodged wiring in a few garages, the result would be an overload, tripping a breaker! In the worst case, if the consumer unit is an old hard wired fuse jobbie a overheat of the cable before the fuse wire ruptures. Personally even if there was a power source in the garage, I wouldn't leave an unattended heater for a long period of time. Seen to many burnouts in my time........ be lucky!;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #13 Sprinter, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    I wouldn't leave an unattended heater for a long period of time. Gas or electric.

Sounds like a non starter mate.I have a council lock up with no power and it has so far not been an issue. I just try to run the bike as often as possible. and I put in vents to try and keep down the condensation.On the other hand, at least you have a light.I have two rechargeable torches and I leave the door open.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    On reflection I have applied some military logic (not intelligence!) to your problem. A ‘mission’ is expressed as ‘do x in order to achieve y’. It is not always obvious but the really important bit is y.
    You are focused on the electrics but your intent is to preserve the garage contents. Your first question should be about the best method of preservation. Dry air is your friend. A lot of this stuff is best left in the airing cupboard in open bags then taped shut when bone dry and stored in the garage. Cold is not the problem. Condensation will be OUTSIDE the protective bag. The Bantam is probably best sprayed in ACF50 etc., before being laid up. Batteries come into the house.....
    Just a thought. I am now shut up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. stitchwort

stitchwort New Member

Oct 31, 2017
    cornwall
    how about an infra red light bulb for some heat ?

16. GaleForceEight

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    That’s actually a pretty elegant solution. I can add a couple lamps on the same circuit as the flo tube, without contravening any of the regs.

17. GaleForceEight

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    Okay, so we used to use low wattage heat lamps in a barn where the pigs were farrowing - We managed to do it without having a fire (admittedly it was only over a period of 15 years or so; either we were very lucky or every pig farmer that uses heat lamps is doing it wrong and is also lucky!)

Why would using one of these heat lamps create the conditions for a fire any more than other heating methods? (Unless you use one of silly high wattage)

If something did go wrong the breaker would trip well in advance of any wiring being endangered.

That said, I had a chat this morning with the developer who built the garage blocks (along with the houses around it) and next time his electrician is on site he’s going to let me know so I can chat through the options, one of which will be putting a ring from the main RCD unit to my garage.

• Like Like x 1
  18. StrippleMont

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    Okay, so we used to use low wattage heat lamps in a barn where the pigs were farrowing - We managed to do it without having a fire (admittedly it was only over a period of 15 years or so; either we were very lucky or every pig farmer that uses heat lamps is doing it wrong and is also lucky!)
    With respect, probably not wired on a 6 amp lighting ring!

Why would using one of these heat lamps create the conditions for a fire any more than other heating methods? (Unless you use one of silly high wattage)
    Most IR lamps are 175 - 250 watts, do the maths!

If something did go wrong the breaker would trip well in advance of any wiring being endangered.
    That will please the other garage users, heating your garage? and tripping the main breaker. Waiting for someone to rest the RCD?MCB or RCBO!

That said, I had a chat this morning with the developer who built the garage blocks (along with the houses around it) and next time his electrician is on site he’s going to let me know so I can chat through the options, one of which will be putting a ring from the main RCD unit to my garage.
    Sounds like the way to go!

Be lucky;)

19. GaleForceEight

Nov 1, 2017
    Southend
    No, but to be fair, with heat lamps in proximity to straw the primary fire risk considerations weren’t the electrics. That said, the power draw even for both pens wouldn’t have troubled the capacity of a 6A ring even if it had been!

I did that before replying to the original sugggestion. The lamps I was looking at are 100w - adding two of them would bring the total draw for my garage to 218w - less than 1A total draw constant current - even if every garage in the block did the same it would still only reach approx 4.5A total draw; certainly not 6A let alone the safety margins designed into the wiring (we used to test things to 50% overcapacity, I’d have to check if wiring design is done the same way)

It wouldn’t be anything I solely did that would trip the breaker. Ideally I’d like to put a 4amp breaker on the feed to my garage for my own peace of mind anyway.

The reason for asking for opinions before moving forward is because I try not to rely on luck. (It helps avoid visitations from the fuck-up fairy!)

• Like Like x 1