Scrambler Calling All 1200 Xc Owners

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by Repooh, Jan 29, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    So I'm considering trading in my Street Twin for an XC, even then whilst I can reach the ground I'm on tippy toes so a low seat will give me more confidence.

Are there any issues or problems I should be aware of please; seem like this unnecessary keyless fob thing is not as stable as it should be. Hot right leg seems to be a trend, but differs from person to person

I wont use this off road, maybe a very very occasional green lane, so in practice I don't need an off road capable bike but I find the riding position so comfy. Tried the Street Scrambler, great bike, also comfy, but once you experience the 1200's power theres no going back.

Unless you folks tell me it's a dog of course

I plan to add heated grips (oem) a tail tidy (Tec), add a small screen to cover up Triumphs wiring (really Triumph could you not have built a small cover) and over time an h-pipe de-cat.

Not interested in Boosters, filters, louder pipes etc, may well opt for a custom painted tank (not over keen on the gloss/matt combo), but may wait till pcp finished

2. Scrambled head

Scrambled head Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2019
    Sussex
    You won’t regret the change, I have the XE and love every ride on my beast
    I have just fitted the TEC tail tidy and I am now finished with the add ons, I am happy with the standard cans and definitely won’t be wasting money on a “booster “.
    if You haven’t tried the speed twin that bike is also as much fun but for me not big enough.
    The stock tyres are wearing well, I have 5600 miles on them now and will probably change soon as I have a pair of Avon trail riders in the shed to try. But the tourances are good for about 2000 miles more, they seem to get down to half worn and stay that way, that’s why I bought the Avon’s thinking I would need them sooner than later.
    As for the key, I changed the fob battery after 6months and all good since, no more out of range BS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Thanks for the insight, I had a few hours on the Speed Twin, the slightly rear pegs and slight lean forward were just enough to ache my gammy back. Getting back on my Street Twin was a relief, albeit it it took longer to get where I was going ;). If I were not blighted by my back the Speed Twin would be a contender

• Like Like x 1
  4. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    When you fitted tail tidy did you cut mudguard yourself or buy the cut one from Tec

5. Scrambled head

Mar 2, 2019
    Sussex
    yes I cut the mudguard as I have no intention of returning to standard.
    Its easy enough to do, I cut it with a junior hacksaw and then filed until the fit was right.
    Did take me a couple of hours as I took my time and like thing right.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Good to know, thank you, see you down Loomies one day :grinning:

7. Timbo007

Timbo007 New Member

Feb 24, 2020
    Cardiff
    Do it, you won't regret it. I picked up mine last week. I have a TEC tail tidy and bar end mirrors to fit. I went for the heated grips and fly screen. The exhaust sounds really good in standard mode, but I may de-cat it later. I wanted a black one, but the dealer only had green. But they did have a one off, painted like the Bond Bike with a few extra bits on it too. So that's the one I went for. I asked them to put the standard front guard back on, but I've decided to put the high level guard back on. It's a great bike to ride and I'm impressed by the quality.

8. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Nice job Timbo, pictures when you're able. I took delivery of an XC Showcase a couple of weeks back, the Showcase was a bike loaded with extras from the factory, so heated grips centre stand rugged pannier, hand guards, low seat and a fly screen. I've subsequently fitted bar end mirrors waiting to fit my tail tidy till new smaller indicators arrive, also dropped in an aux socket for the phone it goes neatly by the steering lock. Now just need the flippin weather to cheer up and can get it run in

• Like Like x 1
  9. Timbo007

Timbo007 New Member

Feb 24, 2020
    Cardiff
    Quick pic of the bike WhatsApp Image 2020-02-15 at 17.04.01.jpeg (plus my good self), just before we put it in the van as the weather was shite.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Nice I like the subtle large logo kinda behind the black

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scrambled head

Mar 2, 2019
    Sussex
    Nice paint job, enjoy your new toy

• Like Like x 1
  12. Scrambled head

Mar 2, 2019
    Sussex
    Nice paint job, enjoy your new toy

13. Bret Morey

Bret Morey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Alexandria, PA - USA
    Only minor issues with my XC so far.

The key fob was buggy at first and would claim it was out of range from time to time. Replaced the battery once, but it still acted up from time to time. Then it suddenly quit doing it, and I have not seen it again for the past 3000 miles or so.

Rear turn signals filled with water the first time I got stuck real far from home on a rainy day. Triumph replaced them, but the new ones let water in and don't let it back out just like the first set. I'll likely replace them when I get the tec tail tidy (still waiting for it to be available in the US).

I noticed some condensation inside of my headlight unit after a long ride on a cold day a few weeks back. Gonna keep an eye on that and snap a pic the next time I see it. That headlight is insanely expensive to replace so I want to get something on record with triumph about the condensation to make sure they cover me if it fails prematurely. Just a little more than one year left on my warranty, so I'll request the replace it now or offer me a documented extended warranty on it.

Only have a bit over 4700 miles on it, but so far so good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1