Featured Rocket Bye Bye Cerberus

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by dilligaf, Jul 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The subtle difference is that VAT is not shown on the ticket price of a UK used vehicle but a dealer (not private seller) pays VAT on their profit (mehr wert!) element.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    He never rode it....... ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    He needed a bigger garage :p:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Thanks for the info! Same here...

5. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    There is no vat element in the sale price of a used bike.
    If there is, would a vat registered buyer be able to claim the vat back?
    As for dealer paying vat on the profit, even if they get their asking price, it still might be sold at a loss.
    Ken.

6. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    #226 Winglad, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    Ken, I can only tell how it is in Germany (and due to this thread, it really was the first time I inquired about this): As a ‚VAT‘registered buyer, you can claim it back but for this, the professional seller of a used bike has to explicitly display the VAT on the sales-form. They usually do not display it there when selling used to private customers just because they are not required to by law, which for example was noted on the contract I got when buying a used car 3 years back.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    I understand what you’re saying Winglad, now, could you answer my previous question :

If a vat registered person (Not a bike dealer) buys a used bike, can he claim any vat back on it?
    Regards,Ken.

8. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    But it’s been in bits a few times. Lots of loose and missing screws I expect. It’s a death trap :joy::joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 6
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    What our @dilligaf is a professional tinkerer of the highest standing. He would never leave loose bits of missing items. Wash your mouth out @SleepyOwl ;);)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    With us if a vat registered person buys a used bike from another vat registered person, if the buyer is going to use the bike for his business (i.e. riding it to and from his place of business) the VAT can be claimed. If the bike was previously owned by a non vat registered person there is no claimable VAT, and if the bike is sold by a bike dealer vat is only calculated on the profit (margin) that he makes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Winglad

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Well, since I am a total amateur when it comes to taxes, I did my best at trying to answer your question with my above comment:
    As a ‚VAT‘registered buyer, you can claim it back but for this, the professional seller of a used bike has to explicitly display the VAT on the sales-form.
    But if this did not answer it, then I must admit that I can not answer it...
    Sorry.
    I have a friend, he is part of the German speaking minority in northern Italy (Südtirol). Whenever he is doing his income-tax he also in parallel denounces himself with the feds. This is to prevent them from accusing him of fraud. Lots of Italian (honest) businessmen do.
    In Germany, the tax system is also quite confusing. So please bear with me, if I cannot deliver. Did not mean to provoke. The whole topic just left me curious...
    :neutral:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Vulpes,
    Thanks for trying to answer my question.
    Your second sentence seems to contradict the first one. Or are you saying that if some guy, say a vat registered joiner buys a bike you would charge him vat on top of the advertised price?
    Things with vat in the price have to be advertised as, either +VAT, or, INCLUDING VAT.

I think, the bottom line is, there is no vat in the selling price of most used bikes being resold.
    Only the first (none trader), ie. owner/ keeper pays the vat levied against the bike.
    Once the vat has been paid, no one else pays vat on the vehicle.
    So what I said before about the ex dilligaf bike being sold used for more than it cost new was correct.
    Or am I totally wrong?
    Not trying to be a pedant here, but would just like to know how this thing works.
    Thanks again for your answer.
    Cheers,Ken.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Winglad,
    I too am just trying to understand (And not provoke) the system and it seemed simple until vat on profit but not machine was introduced.
    Thanks for your input.
    I’m gone :)
    Ken.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  14. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    #234 Vulpes, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    There IS vat in the selling of a used bike, if that bike is being sold by a trader. You just do not see it when sold to a non-trader. When sold trade to trader the vat will be stated, and can be claimed by the buyer.

When a trader buys a bike from a non trader and sells it on, he'd have to add vat to his profit margin.
    So if the bike was bought for 6000 and sold for 6500, the vat would be 21% (in NL) of 500.

I'm sorry if I'm not clear on this - a bit difficult to explain in a language not your own...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Herman66

Herman66 Active Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Dorset, U.K
    A Harley Davidson ?

16. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Just had a phone call from Eric at Newcastle Triumph and CERBERUS :cool:has been sold :)
    New owner is picking it up on Saturday :)

• Like Like x 12
  17. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I just think that the customer service is wonderful, how to piss off your customer after him having to part with his dream bike for health reasons. And at a significant loss to him and good profit to the dealer.....:confused:

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hoping to post something about this next Thursday :p

• Like Like x 6