Buying Sight Unseen...?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Petethehat, Feb 15, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Petethehat

Petethehat New Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Devon UK
    #1 Petethehat, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    Hi - I'm a new member looking for a bit of advice on what people think about buying a bike that you haven't seen yourself. I'm after a Thruxton 1200R and i've sat on one last year and ridden one the year before and know that its the right model for me.

The one's I look at online seem fine but I'm not sure about just paying all that cash then waiting for it to be delivered. When i speak to dealers they say that they sell a lot of bikes this way without any issues. I suppose i'm from a generation that is used to actually eyeballing the bike first before buying so your sure of what your getting!

What do people think?
    Thanks
    Peter

2. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I think if you're paying a lot of money you need to see the bike first. I bought a bike unseen once and it turned out to be a great buy but then it was only £950. If you're in the thousands, then personally, I want to look for rust, rattles, smoke and knackered bearings.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    I've bought unseen, but I agree with Andypandy there. I bought a cheap bike and changed everything I could.
    On a bike in good shape at the regular price a test ride is necessary.
    If you finally decide to buy online/unseen, maybe make sure you can check all the maintenance documentation and have a recourse in case there is something hidden.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

A friend bought a Harley from a Scottish(ish) dealer last year. They arranged for it to be delivered to Surrey (a long way) and were happy to take it back if it wasn’t good enough.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Welcome to the site Peter. I've done it a couple of times, I asked the seller/s to send detailed hi res photos of the whole bike/s before I took the plunge, but I was dealing with reasonably large dealerships with the understanding the bike/s could be returned and my money refunded if I wasn't totally satisfied. I think I would have had to pay for the return carriage though as in both cases the bike/s were delivered by bike courier to my door.

6. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Ask for photos of the wheel spokes and engine casings, these parts are sometimes prone to corrosion if not well looked after. Apart from that I think you should be good, there are no horror stories of these bikes. Brilliant machine, wish I still had mine!
    Welcome to the forum :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stephen Martin

Stephen Martin Senior Member

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    Hi Peter I was in the same position several months ago I live on the Isle of Wight and the first few dealers I contacted were not up to bring it over the best they would do was bring it down to Southampton or Portsmouth. also they were not interested in my trade in at all an old CB 500s. then I found Mike Mclean www.helmicclassics.uk he was great to deal with although he could take the CB he could only offer a few hundred for it and advised it would be better for me to sell it privately which I did got 800 for it. As he was delivering it to the Island from Doncaster at no extra cost i had to pay the asking price wear as I could have got some discount had I picked the bike up myself. so all in all I think i got a good deal and even though he had brought it all that way he said from the start if I wasn't happy with the bike when I saw it it wasn't a problem he was that confident in his product and his description of it. so there are some good honest dealers out there just check with them what they are prepared to do if you are not happy with the bike on delivery. oh just remembered I had to pay a deposit to secure the the bike but Mike did say that if I didn't want the bike when I saw it in the flesh he would return the deposit as well. so for me it was a no loose deal either way.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Hi Peter,

Where are you buying the bike from? If a Triumph dealer then I wouldn't think that you would have a problem, particularly if the bike is sold under the 'Triumph approved' scheme. I see you are in Devon and if you were buying from Bridge then I would be confident that you would get a good bike.

I think that it depends on the dealer, I would always prefer to physically see the bike and test ride it before buying but we are living in strange times at the moment and that is clearly not possible. The main thing is that you have ridden a Thruxton 1200R and know that it is the bike for you so if you are happy with the dealer and the deal then go ahead.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Petethehat

Petethehat New Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Devon UK
    Thanks for all the advice so far, really useful. The bikes I'm looking at are 21016/7 with low mileage and service history, prefereable through a dealer approved scheme. so you know what to expect. What i've noticed is these bikes dont hang around for long and you've got to be quick and decisive if you want to get it.

Thanks again, i'm hoping to get my first Triumph before the good weather hopefully arrives in the spring!!

10. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    #10 Kenbro, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    +1 on good close up pictures of spokes and cases.
    Even on very low mileage bikes that are a few years old, spokes, chrome rims and engine casing can be corroded but not show properly on photos.
    Even more likely on older bikes, even low miles ones.
    Happened to a friend last year when he bought a low miles Virago. The pictures made it look good, though when it came, not so.
    I’ve bought several used bikes unseen over the last 3 years, all have been as described (So ask the questions re spokes etc as well as having pics) but all mine have been 3 years old or less.
    Cheers,Ken.
    PS. This works both ways too.
    A dealer will value your bike from info and pictures you give them, then do a deal using the info.
    It benefits no one really for either side to mislead.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    I would get someone to have a look at the bike .if you dont know anybody ,then you want photos as said close up because distant photos always look good

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Petethehat

Petethehat New Member

Jan 10, 2021
    Devon UK
    Excellent advice from everyone, thanks very much. Appreciated!

13. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#13 Cyborgbot, Feb 16, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2021
    It might be worth looking into warranty cover too - assuming it’s possible on the bikes you are after. It might offer some peace of mind (at a cost).

That way hidden mechanical issues that appear after a few days, weeks or months might be covered. But do remember things do wear out and break - even on non-Harley- Davison’s...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Terence Jones

Terence Jones New Member

Nov 5, 2020
    Cambridge
    Personally, I would not pay sight unseen for a bike of that value. Even with a warranty, there could be serious problems that you may only find on riding that the seller would find it easy to deny eg warning lights or gearbox issues. They could just claim it was fine when they sold it (and they may not even have ridden the bike themselves if they took it as a part ex so they wouldn’t be deliberately misleading you). I would wait until restrictions are eased so that you can eyeball it yourself and be 100% sure

15. Iain Ogilvie

Iain Ogilvie New Member

Feb 7, 2021
    Cotswolds, UK
    #15 Iain Ogilvie, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    I've just bought a 2500 mile 2016 Thruxton R, sight unseen, from a dealer in Essex.

Had exactly the same concerns, but dealer said they were willing to take a £195 deposit - then a bank transfer for the final amount once the bike was delivered, sat on my driveway and I was happy with it.

It arrived - exactly as described - all numbers correct - started first prod - all lights good - so money transferred and driver left to return back to Essex.

It was a good solution - and signalled the seller was confident I'd be happy with it!

147549982_10157961304648123_5405239661740523947_o.jpg

He was, and I am. Just need better weather, and an end to lock-down, to go and enjoy...

Iain

• Like Like x 3
  16. Robbedwell

Robbedwell New Member

Jan 25, 2021
    East Midlands
    I bought a Tiger 800, lots of photo’s and a video. It was delivered late afternoon and they were in a hurry. It looked fab and I was happy. Once I got up close and personal I found the screen fixing had pulled out of the back of the headlight, the gear selector was bent (tucked under the engine enough to make getting your foot on it difficult- who knows how that got through the mot), and although the sprockets look fine the chain has lots of stiff sections, so probably needs replacing. None of it serious, and the discount more than compensated it. Clearly buying without seeing, or seeing without knowing what you looking at is more of a gamble, only you can decide if the price is a risk your prepared to take. For me the savings were more than the hidden costs. Good luck

17. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I bought my Speed Triple from the other end of the country,saw loads of close up photos and a video, it was only 18 months old with very low miles so it wasn't a difficult decision. If it was older or had more miles I'd prefer to see it,although most dealers will let you return it if your not happy and it's not as described

18. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    It’s all about pictures. If the dealer is willing for extra pics then probably he’s the right dealer, honest and open, if not then leave. I bought an average cb1300 a decade ago form a small dealer, it was at a loss to him, got pics I asked for and turned out far better!! Just shows.

19. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Don’t forget we have a thread on here where a member can go and inspect a bike for you if you are too far away. We are spread all over the country so someone is likely to be close to the bike and we’d take the photos YOU want to see, the dealer will probably take the photos THEY want you to see, if you get my meaning.
    *** Little rant alert***
    We might be in lockdown at the moment but if MCN can test ride bikes in January and The Missenden Flyer can ride the new Trident in February (essential journeys??) then somebody could go look at a bike for you to help your mental health and boost the economy. ****
    Jus sayin:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Does anyone know the situation about travelling to collect a new or used bike during lockdown?