Buying From Ebay.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by John Ryan, Oct 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Ryan

John Ryan Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2019
    Scotland
    Looking at a bike for sale on eBay. Tried messaging seller to get a bit more info, it’s actually located not too far so would ideally like to inspect it. No word back as yet, if I ‘bought it now’ and went along with my cashiers cheque (preferred payment) and something didn’t look right are you within your rights to walk away? Anyone know more about this?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. John Ryan

Feb 27, 2019
    Scotland
    Yeah, not getting back is disappointing. I can’t do a basic hpi check without a reg number. It’s at a good price, maybe too good. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    if it sounds to good to be true... it probably is o_O

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Check what protection you can get as a purchaser - on small purchases eBay are quite good. With vehicles there are other laws that might apply over ebays policies. Dunno if pay pal etc would cover a fraudulent transaction.
    Tricky isn’t it?!?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I brought my Bonneville via eBay, but I had contact with the seller and viewed the bike first. I would not buy a bike from eBay without at the very least having correspondance with the seller, so as to have in writing clear answers or a statement to the bikes condition and history.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Yesterday Bennetts posted this video about eBay....

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. John Ryan

Feb 27, 2019
    Scotland
    Looking at a speed triple RS funnily enough near your location. Person hasn’t replied to my message, only two pics and cheap price is the things concern me. There of course could be legit reasons, the are looking at payment in cashiers cheque which would mean handing over in person I’d assume.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading

shame you're up the other end of the country, I'll probably be selling my Speed RS soon to get a track bike.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. John Ryan

Feb 27, 2019
    Scotland
    Shame, always good to get a bit of history.
    Seller has got back to me, going to view this afternoon. Will fire into the bank beforehand to see about cashiers check.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. John Ryan

Feb 27, 2019
    Scotland
    Yikes, I’ve bought it. In principle anyway, shook hands and I’ll get the bike on Thursday. Turns out a decent guy, just even less net savvy than me. Pics to follow....anyone wanna buy a nice 2009 speed triple

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. DaveJC

DaveJC Member

Dec 5, 2018
    norfok
    If the vehicle is not as advertised (ie a fault is not mentioned) then walk away whether you have agreed to pay or paid in advance of seeing it. EBay should support you on the latter. If you get to see it check the logbook (is it a fake), check the vin number on the bike and compare it to the service record and the log book. If the seller hasn't come back to you after you have expressed interest then be very careful....there are scammers and ringers out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Baldrick174

Baldrick174 Active Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Boscastle, Cornwall
    Definately look first. I did on both my Explorer and T595 and got both for a lot less than advertised and did not go through ebay. Give it a try, good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    eBay are rubbish no mater what their small print says. So is PayPal. I sold a perfect set of T140E Crank cases to a buyer from Glasgow who some two months later reported them damaged. I ask for return instead the buyer sent eBay some pictures of his damaged cases. I ask eBay to check the case numbers and clarify it was the cases I sent they refused I offered to go and pick them up they said no I would have to get the buyer to return then using their postage method and the buyer had stopped mailing. So I told eBay when I had the cases back by any method I would paid the complete payment. No they went into my bank a returned the money to the buyer using PayPal who agreed to do this. I lost my cases and my money and they didn't give a stuff about me and my rights. Talk and promises are cheap when its other people's money and property they deal with. Moral to the story this buyer had his t140 and damaged the cam holes and decided to rip me of and eBay and PayPal assisted him with out any proof atall.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    With e bay it’s running a risk both as buyer but particularly as a seller just as Joe says. Most folk however are decent sorts who are honest and straightforward. E bay do though monitor messages for anyone they think is intent on conducting a sale outside of e bay policies and avoid paying their final value fees. They send warning messages threatening to suspend or cancel accounts if e mail or phone info is shared and this of course makes it difficult to view an item before committing to buy. Gumtree is better for selling stuff that people would wish to view before committing their cash...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Clivedee.
    They didn't have to cancel mine. I was disgusted. I told them showed them the numbers on my cases I photographed before selling they didn't care nor did they even ask the buyer to show them pictures. They and PayPal just stole my money. I did go to Trading standards they said this was a common complaint and there was little they could do. They told me I would have to go through small claims but that would cost me again and by that time I had lost the will. After nearly 10 years on eBay and thousands paid to sellers who were all decent. They treated me like they did. eBay are no more than crooks who earn millions out of doing nothing but ripping of decent hard working individuals.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dozers Dad.
    Sometime they try to scam the wrong people. And for once I am glad well not glad you had the hassle but glad the scammer got his come uppence. Me I just really forget about my scammer and eBay. I would love it if he rebuilds his bike and it throws a conrod right through the cases but I will never know. He was a smart cookie he knew eBay wouldn't ask him for proof or even care. But like I say they have saved me thousands of pounds as I used them for every thing and would even have purchase my street triple through them as I had done several bikes over the years. But hey one day I will go to Glasgow and I have his address. It is where my Tracy's family roots come from the Gorbals area alought not the same nowadays.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  18. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dozers Dad.
    I know and I do know the first man. But no its a personal thing. Won't drag others into this one. Thanks all the same. You are still very much a hero in my eyes.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1