Buying And Connecting A Battery Minder

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Gurmot, Sep 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gurmot

Gurmot New Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Somerset UK
    With colder mornings upon us I am thinking about buying a smart battery charger. Can anyone advise what sort to go for and how to connect it? I’m not even sure if it’s a 12v or 6v system!

2018 T120.

Thanks

2. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    12v on your bike. Tecmate Optimate is the one of the brand leaders. No need to go for the latest version, imo at least. Earlier V2 and V3 models can be had on ebay quite cheap. I also have an Oxford Oximiser which reviews well, which I bought cheap second hand on ebay, but only £30-ish new in Halfords. MCN recommends Gear Gremlin too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Lidl’s or Aldi’s had some good ones in recently, have a search on here and it’ll come up

4. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    most of the newer battery chargers/ monitors are good. just run the red/ positive wire to the + battery post and the black lead to battery - post. almost all new monitors have an in line fuse on the positive wire. also the newer Smart chargers will have a safety feature in case you screw up and reverse the wires with no harm done. my bike came with a lead tucked next to the frame rail just behind the left side plastic cover where you access the air filter snorkel. I have the CTEK charger. perfect for all types of vehicles. When not needed on my bike i use it on my prized posession that is only driven on special occasions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gurmot

Gurmot New Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Thanks. That all looks easy enough, I will start shopping.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
    Optimate 4 does all bike canbus or not.
    Buy one that has a hella plug and the standard lead connectors.
    Can’t go wrong then :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AndyInSurrey

AndyInSurrey Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Isle of Wight
    #6 AndyInSurrey, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Optimate 4, they don't cost that much and will save you having to buy a new battery

• Agree Agree x 1