Buying Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Colin_l, Aug 18, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Colin_l

Colin_l New Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Scotland
    need some advice am looking to buy a street triple r with a budget of about 5k am thinking that should get me 13/14 plate.but being in Scotland it looks like our winter is coming early so might no get much use now till next year . Would it be best to buy now or wait till start of next year and buy one? Do these bikes drop a lot in value each year ?

Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Phil-osophy

Phil-osophy Member

May 7, 2018
    Hampshire
    The time to buy is when you see a deal you can't resist.
    If you're worried about residual values leave the money in the bank. Just me 2pence worth.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Colin,
    your location in Scotland is a factor in so far as centres of population throw up more bikes than the back of beyond!
    If your budget is cash you may find a private sale bargain at the season’s end or in the depths of winter but so much stuff is sold on finance that cash does not speak as loudly to dealers as it once did. You might find, though, that they too will look to shift stock in the winter months. Winter is when the best bargains are to be had just as more trade ins appear in the spring.
    If you know your onions or have a mate that does then go private via Autotrader or Gumtree from October onwards. If you are more risk averse keep checking dealer stock and make offers. The worst they can do is say ‘No!’. These days you can buy online and get the dealer to ship direct to your door. How impatient are you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Colin.
    Its all been said. Scotland is pretty good biking country and deals get better there. Two of my past bikes came from Edinburgh Triumph willing to haggle and Glasgow again very good. Most dealers restock around Feb / March but Triumphs such as the model you want don't drop vastly as they are sought after machine's but haggle like the devil and if they want a sale now the season is ending you will get what you want. Keep us all in the know.
    Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rspete

Rspete Elite Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Durham
    Streets hold value rather well but you can get a cracking deal over winter time buying private, if I were you I'd save 2k and get an earlier model bike..... they're absolutely brilliant.

20180429_095240.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Colin_l

Colin_l New Member

Jul 24, 2018
    Scotland
    Am happy to wait to bed honest as in winter it’s just going to be in the garage . A saw 13 plate available low miles few extras for £4.5k but wondering just to wait and get better deal

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Remember it always rains in Scotland (apart from the Triumph Forum Scottish Tour 2018) :sun: look out for potential corrosion issues as well as the usual​

• Like Like x 2
  8. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I agree with Ade, December & January are the best times to get a good deal. Put in a low offer at Christmas and walk away when it's refused, leave your number, you might get a call in the new year. It's worked for me, it could work for you. Be patient, there are plenty of bikes out there.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2